Level up your toast game with sweet potato toasts. Baked in the oven or in your toaster. It’s a delicious healthy breakfast, lunch, or snack.
Sweet Potatoes are one of my favourite veggies you can eat in so many ways. There are popular ways such as roasting and baked sweet potato but have you tried Sweet Potato Toast?
Yep, you heard right toast!
It’s a fun way of switching up traditional toast by cutting sweet potatoes lengthways to make slices then either bake in the oven or put in a toaster.
This recipe walks you through making sweet potato slices. I then share some of my toppings which have been my new breakfast and lunch these past weeks.
These toasts are easy to make and great for meal prep with so many different toppings from sweet to savory.
Table of Contents
So if you love sweet potatoes like me then this recipe is for you, if not this presents new ideas for sweet potatoes and how they can be enjoyed.
It’s healthy, gluten free and wholesome real food full of nutrients not to mention tastes amazing.
Below are some favourite toast recipes you must try!
Avocado and Halloumi Sweet Potato Toast Recipe
- Whilst potatoes are cooking, slice Halloumi Cheese into squares and pan fry on medium heat in olive oil
- They will only take 1-2 mins to cook on each side to be nice and golden
- To ensemble, smear some smashed avocado on the potatoes and add sea salt
- Add rocket leaves and halloumi cheese. Season with chili flakes, a squeeze of lemon, and a drizzle of honey
Peanut Butter Banana Toast
- Add a smear of peanut butter, slices of banana with a sprinkle of chia seeds
- You can also substitute it with almond butter
Sweet Potato Avocado Toast
- Add sliced avocado, Pickled Onions along with some Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Season with a squeeze of lemon and enjoy!
Some other ideas are to make sweet potato toast are with:
Important Tips Sweet Potato Toast Recipe
- It's best to pick a large sweet potato that is wide so that they are easier to make sweet potato toasts
- When cutting the sweet potato, cut a thin slice lengthways on one side so you can face this side down on the chopping board. This makes it more stable to slice all the pieces given it's a raw sweet potato
- Make sure to slice sweet potatoes approximately 1cm in thickness (under half an inch thick).
You don't want them to be too thin as they can become soggy and won't hold their shape.
- Once the sweet potatoes have been removed from the oven, let them cool on a wire rack. This prevents them from becoming soggy on a plate from the steam
- You can also cook them in a toaster oven. You will have to keep checking on them and cook a few times so that they are cooked all the way through and don't burn
- Sweet potato toast air fryer steps are about the same as the oven recipe. Timing will reduce a little however.
More Breakfast Recipes
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to tag @cookingwithayeh and share a photo on Instagram so I can share the love.
Sweet Potato Toast
- 1 large sweet potato
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the sweet potato lengthwise with the skin on. They should be approximately 1 centimetre thick and provide 4-5 slices
- Spray slices with olive oil spray and season with salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Place sweet potato slices on a lined baking tray and put in the oven for 12-15 minutes. They should be fork tender however not too soft.
- Allow potato slices to rest on a wire rack for a couple of mintues to avoid them becoming soggy
- Add your preferred toppings and enjoy (refer above for my favourite variations)
- Put slices in toaster on a medium setting
- Depending on toaster strength, you will need to push the lever down approximately 4 times. They should be fork tender however not too soft
- Let them cool on a wire rack for a couple of minutes before adding your toppings
So glad you liked it too Vanessa 🙂
My daughter and I made this recipe 2 days in a row and the best part is the toppings are endless!!! I have made several of your recipes and I am never disappointed!!!! Scrolling through your page yet again to find a yummy dinner for today... thank you for sharing all your amazing recipes!!!! Keep them coming....
Aww this makes me so happy to hear Joyann 🙂 Many more to come xx
Such a simple, healthy and delicious treat . My husband and me Loved it. Made it for dinner last night. Replaced halloumi with Cottage cheese because that's what I had. Thank you ayeh for your simple creative recipe.
Oh yummy that sounds great too! So happy you both loved this recipe xx
Big sweet potato fan! So these did not disappoint
Yay love it! Im a big sweet potato fan too 🙂 x
So so easy and I changed it up to suit my taste. HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
So glad to hear lovely!! xx
Love it. Do you think you could prepare the toast ahead of time and reheat them?