Making Homemade Granola is so much easier than you think! It's also cheaper, healthier and tastes absolutely delicious!
This homemade healthy granola recipe is also perfect for meal prep. Make a batch at the beginning of the week and it's ready to be added to breakfast or snacks. I love adding it to my Overnight Oats, smoothie bowls, yogurt bowls or yogurt Parfaits and it's even great as a snack on its own.
My favorite part about this recipe are the crunchy granola clusters! It's stuck altogether and you can then break the slab up into your preferred pieces.. YUM!
A lot of the time, store-bought granola can be full or added sugar and preservatives making what seems healthy, not actually healthy at all. Here I’ve used honey for natural sweetness but you can also use rice malt syrup to keep it vegan.
By making homemade granola, you can customize it to your liking. The foundation of granola consists of rolled oats, nuts and seeds along with dried fruits. It's always best to use a variety so feel free to add your favorites. there are no rules! I love switching it up and making different flavors each time.
Table of Contents
Ingredients to Make Healthy Homemade Granola
- Rolled oats are the key ingredient and base to this granola. Make sure to not use quick oats as they will burn and wont have the same texture. Ensure to use certified gluten-free oats if you cannot eat gluten.
- Mixed raw nuts, I've used a combination of almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts but you can use any nuts you like. I also love adding cashews, pecans, pistachios and even peanuts
- Seeds, I've used a mix of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. Chia seeds are also a great addition
- Organic Honey or Rice malt syrup are used as natural sweeteners. These can also be substituted with agave or maple syrup
- Coconut oil is my preferred oil for baking but you can use avocado oil or any oil of your choice
- Dried fruits are very popular to add in granola. Whilst this recipe is fruit-free, you can add fruits such as raisins, dried cranberries, goji berries and other fruits.
- Other additions which I love to add sometimes and taste amazing are almond butter, peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut flakes or even shredded coconut
How to make Healthy Homemade Granola
Making healthy granola at home is easier than you think and better than anything you will buy. Here are my simple steps below.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl and mix to combine
- Pour mixture onto a baking sheet with parchment paper, flattening to an even layer and press down so it sticks together. Put in the oven for 15 minutes
- Remove tray and stir with a spoon to move it all around. Flatten the mixture again by pressing down with the back of a spoon. Put back in the oven for 10 minutes
- Remove tray from oven and allow to cool in the tray for at least 10 minutes (waiting is the hardest part!!)
- Once cooled, break up with your fingers for your clusters, enjoy on top of Overnight Oats or in a yogurt bowl and store in a glass jar
Tips & Tricks
- Ensure you have spread the mixture out on an even layer on your sheet pan. This will ensure the granola cooks evenly. Also, mix the granola throughout the cook so the edges don't burn and it cooks up the same all the way through
- To make the clusters, make sure to press the mixture down with the back of a spoon so there are no gaps and so it sticks together
- Its always best to let your granola cool for at least 10 minutes once its been removed from the oven to come to room temperature. This creates the crispness before its stored away and eaten
- Once cooled, you can break up with your fingers to desired size pieces for your clusters. If you prefer it finer, you can use the back of a spoon to tap and break it up further
Store the homemade granola in an airtight container or mason jar and keep in a cool place such as your kitchen cupboard. It will keep for a month, but I don't think it will last that long 🙂
More Breakfast Recipes
- Overnight Oats
- Greek Yogurt Pancakes
- Overnight Weetabix
- Custard Yogurt Toast
- Persian Omelette
- Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Pesto Eggs
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Healthy Homemade Granola photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Healthy Homemade Granola (Clusters)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup mixed raw nuts (I’ve used almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts)
- ½ cup mixed seeds (I’ve used pumpkin, sunflower and flax seeds)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey or rice malt syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix together
- Add the wet ingredients and mix well so that the mixture is nicely coated
- Pour mixture onto a lined baking sheet with parchment paper, flattening to an even layer and press down so it sticks togetherPut in the oven for 15 minutes
- Remove baking tray and stir with a spoon to move it all around. Flatten the mixture and press down again with the back of a spoon ensuring there are no gaps. Put back in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden
- Remove tray from oven and allow to cool in the tray for at least 10 minutesOnce cooled, break up with your fingers to desired size pieces for your clusters. If you prefer it finer, you can use the back of a spoon to tap and break it up further. Enjoy your healthy homemade granola on the top of Overnight Oats or in a yogurt bowl