This Healthy French Toast is easy to make in 10 minutes using 6 ingredients. It's the perfect breakfast or brunch.
French Toast is an all time crowd favourite but did you know how easy it is to make Healthy French Toast at home??
It’s always been one of my favourite breakfast options, especially when dining out so I’ve created this simple and healthier recipe without missing out on the traditional french toast flavours.
The best part is that it uses 6 pantry staple ingredients you probably have in your kitchen right now!
Taking only 10 minutes to make, it will be your new weekend perfect easy breakfast!
You can also easily make french toast sticks with this same recipe. Just slice the bread into thick sticks before dipping into the mixture.
With Mother's Day around the corner, why not surprise mum for breakfast with french toast!
- Bread slices, I've used sourdough bread however you can use your preferred bread.
- Eggs are used to help bind the mixture together
- Unsweetened almond milk is my preferred milk.
- Pure maple syrup is added for natural sweetness
- Vanilla extract gives a lovely subtle flavour
- Cinnamon gives a nice scent and taste
Healthy French Toast Toppings
I love adding fresh fruit such as bananas and berries along with maple syrup. You can also add dark chocolate chips.
- Sourdough bread can be substituted for rye, whole grain bread, or gluten free bread
- Any preferred dairy free milk such as oat or coconut milk, otherwise standard milk can be used
- Maple syrup can be substituted for agave or honey
- I've pan-fried the french toast slices in minimal coconut oil rather than using butter which is what is traditionally used however you can use your preferred oil or butter
How to Make Healthy French Toast
Time needed: 10 minutes.
- Add ingredients and whisk
In a bowl add the egg, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Give it a whisk until well combined
- Dip bread to mixture
Add the slices of sourdough bread to the egg mixture and leave it to stand for 2 mins on each side allowing the mixture to be soaked into the bread.
- Pan fry the bread
Add coconut oil to a fry pan over medium heat and once melted, add the slices of bread. Cook for a few minutes on each side until they are golden
- Garnish and serve
Garnish with slices of banana and strawberries with a drizzle of maple syrup and dusting of extra cinnamon. Serve with a glass of orange juice or coffee / tea and enjoy!
Tips for making this Healthy French Toast recipe
- Try and use day old bread as fresh bread will be too soft and can become soggy
- Make sure to let the bread soak in the mixture for a few minutes on each side. It will feel soggy but that’s ok as you want the bread absorbed all the way through
- If you’re using thin slices of bread, reduce the soaking time slightly
- Ensure you add sufficient coconut oil to the pan for pan frying the French toast
- Don’t cook on a high heat as you don’t want to burn the outside of the bread
Traditionally french toast can be quite heavy as it's usually made with wholemeal or buttermilk, sugar, and cooked with butter. However, there are some easy substitutions you can make like in this recipe to make it healthier
By just using some healthy alternative ingredients you can make french toast healthy. For example using sourdough or whole-grain bread, almond milk, along with pure maple syrup rather than sugar, and a small amount of coconut oil instead of using butter
More Breakfast Recipes
- Baked Oats
- Sweet Potato Toast
- Zucchini Corn Fritters
- Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
- Tiramisu Overnight Oats
- Persian Shakshuka
- Healthy Banana Bread
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Healthy French Toast photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Healthy French Toast
- 2 slices thick bread (I've used sourdough bread)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Coconut oil for frying
- Pure maple syrup
- In a bowl add the egg, maple syrup, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Give it a whisk until well combined.
- Add the slices of bread to the egg mixture and leave it to stand for 2 minutes on each side allowing the mixture to be soaked into the bread. The thicker the slices, the longer it will need to stand to ensure it has soaked all the way through.
- Add coconut oil to a fry pan over medium heat and once melted, all the slices of bread. Cook for a few minutes on each side until they are nice and golden.
- Garnish with slices of banana and strawberries with a drizzle of maple syrup and dusting of extra cinnamon. Serve with a glass of orange juice or coffee/tea and enjoy!