The perfect appetizer before a main or even to enjoy as an aperitif with a few glasses of wine is my Honey Glazed Halloumi.
Halloumi is a salty cheese so the combination of sweet sticky honey and the acidity of lemon juice is a flavor bomb with every bite!
This is a super easy recipe to make with only 5 ingredients, not to mention it looks amazing so it’s one that will impress guests every time!
What is Halloumi?
Halloumi is a Cypriot firm, brined, slightly springy white cheese, traditionally made from a mixture of goat and sheep milk.
It has a strong salty flavour from the brine but once cooked it softens and becomes creamy with a like squidgy texture. Halloumi also has a high melting point making it perfect for frying and grilling.
Tips to make Honey Glazed Halloumi
- Ensure not to slice the cheese too thin as once cooked, it softens up and can fall apart. Slice in 1cm thick pieces
- It’s best to marinate the halloumi for as long as you can, overnight if possible. This creates the flavour profile. But not to stress, if you're in a rush, marinating for at least an hour will still taste great.
- Halloumi will toughen up and become quite chewy if overcooked, so only cook for 2-3 mins on each side
- Serve halloumi immediately as once it cools down, it will toughen a little. I love adding a drizzle of the honey dressing upon serving for extra flavour.
- Ensure the pan is nice and hot before adding your cheese, as you want a nice golden char
- Cook the halloumi on medium heat as the outside can burn quite quickly if the pan is too hot
More Appetizer Recipes
I hope you enjoy my Honey Glazed Halloumi recipe. I love seeing your creations and remakes, so make sure to tag me and send me a photo on Instagram so I can also share the love.
Honey Glazed Halloumi
- 600 g halloumi cheese
- 5 tablespoon honey
- 1 medium lemon
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- Slice halloumi in 1 centimeter thick pieces
- In a small bowl, add the honey, juice of the lemon and thyme leaves. Mix well.
- Add one layer of halloumi slices to an air tight container. Spoon over a layer of the honey lemon dressing. Add another layer of halloumi on top, add dressing , repeating until all the cheese has been added. Pour over any remaining dressing.
- Place container in the fridge to marinate for as long as you can, minimum of one hour. Overnight if possible otherwise a few hours is sufficient.
- Every now and then, turn container upside down so dressing can marinate and coat the cheese on all sides.
- Heat some of the olive oil in a pan on medium heat. One heated, gently place some of the halloumi cheese. Don't overcrowd the pan or have pieces touching.
- After 2-3 minutes when you have a nice sear, turn the cheese around. After 1 minute, add a few spoons of the dressing to glaze the cheese. Once the second side has seared, remove from the pan and add to a plate.
- Keep repeating this process until all cheese is cooked
- Upon serving, add a few more spoons of the honey dressing to coat the cheese, then dig in and enjoy!