Start your special day with a sweet twist on french toast. Filled with oozing warm Nutella and topped with fresh strawberries, just yum!
This Nutella French Toast is such a fun and decadent recipe to make for brunch!
Perfect to make for a loved one, or yourself, on Valentine's day, Mother's Day, a birthday, or any day really hehe.
What better way to start a special day than warm french toast, oozing with warm Nutella…yum!
The base is actually the same recipe as my Healthy French Toast that I’ve shared previously.
It's a healthier french toast recipe as it does not include any butter, cream, or sugar, leaving all the indulgence to the Nutella. I also prefer to use sourdough bread for my recipe, but you can also use brioche bread to make it extra rich.
You only need a handful of staple ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now!
Another simple sweet breakfast or treat idea is my viral Custard Yogurt Toast!
Ingredients to make Nutella Stuffed French Toast
- Sliced bread, I’ve used thick sliced sourdough for this recipe however you can use your preferred bread. You just want to make sure it's not too thin as this can make the french toast soggy. To make it extra rich, you can also use brioche bread too
- Nutella is of course the star of the dish! I’ve noted 3-4 tablespoons in this recipe which makes 2 nutella sandwiches. You can of course add more or less depending on your preference and size of bread. If you don't have access to Nutella, you can also use any chocolate hazelnut spread to make the stuffed french toast
- Egg I’ve used a medium free range egg to make the custard egg mixture
- Milk you can use your preferred milk. I've used unsweetened almond milk in this recipe
- Vanilla extract gives the custard a nice vanilla scent and flavour
- A pinch of salt is added to the egg mixture to balance out the sweetness
- Garnish, I’ve used a dusting of cacao powder and fresh strawberries
- Some other garnish options are: raspberries, banana slices, berries, icing sugar, maple syrup, whipped cream, ice cream
How to make Nutella French Toast
- Make dipping mixture
In a deep bowl, add an egg, milk, vanilla, salt and whisk together to make the custard egg mixture
- Prepare bread
Spread about approximately a tablespoon of Nutella to each four slices of bread. Then stick the breads together to create two Nutella sandwiches (Nutella on the insides)
- Dip bread into mixture
Place each sandwich in the custard egg mixture, one at a time and leave it to stand for 1-2 minutes on each side to allow the mixture to be soaked into the bread. You want it coated nicely, but not to be too soggy. Repeat for both sandwiches
- Time to cook
Heat 1-2 teaspoons of oil in a frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Place the soaked sandwiches in the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
Slice in half to show off the oozing melted Nutella, dust with cacao powder or powdered sugar, garnish with strawberries and they're ready to be enjoyed!
Tips for Nutella French Toast Recipe
- Add a good amount of Nutella to each slice. About 1 tablespoon per slice will be great, but will depend on the size and thickness of your bread.
- Try and use day old bread as fresh bread will be too soft and can become soggy
- If using sourdough bread like I have here, ensure to use slices of bread without large holes so you don't loose any precious Nutella when the french toast is being cooked
- If you’re using thin slices of bread, reduce the soaking time slightly so it doesnt become too sloppy
- Its best to cook over medium heat. Don’t cook on a high heat as you don’t want to burn the outside of the bread
It's always best to use day old bread to make french toast. Thicker softer bread is typically used such as Brioche or even Challah bread. I however prefer using Sourdough bread which I have in this recipe for a lighter french toast
Soak in the mixture for a few minutes on each side. It will feel soggy but that’s ok as you want the bread to have absorbed most of the custard egg mixture
I like to serve it with fresh fruit such as strawberries or raspberries. This gives a nice freshness as the toast is rich
More Brunch Ideas
Nutella French Toast
- 4 slices of bread - here I’ve used sourdough
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk - I've used almond milk
- 3-4 tablespoon Nutella
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut oil or your preferred oil or butter for frying
- Garnish strawberries and cocao powder or icing sugar
- In a deep bowl, add the egg, milk, vanilla, salt and whisk together to make the custard egg mixture
- Spread about approximately a tablespoon or less of Nutella to each four slices of bread. You can add a little more or less depending on how sweet you like it, and also depending on the size of your bread
- Stick the breads together to create two nutella sandwiches (nutella on the insides)
- Place each sandwich in the custard egg mixture, one at a time and leave it to stand for 1-2 minutes on each side to allow the mixture to be soaked into the bread. You want it coated nicely, but not to be too soggy. Repeat for both sandwiches
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons of oil in a frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Place the soaked sandwiches in the pan and pan fry for a few minutes on each side until they are golden brown
- Slice in half to show off the the oozing melted nutella, dust with cacao powder or powdered sugar, garnish with strawberries and they're ready to be enjoyed!