If you love Pesto as much as me, you have to try Pesto Eggs! They will take your standard eggs for breakfast to another level.
All you need to do is make a beautiful basil pesto which can be done in minutes. I've recently shared my recipe on how to make pesto, so definitely go and check it out.
For another variation try my sun dried tomato pesto which is equally delicious and so easy to make.
In this recipe, I cooked fried eggs but you can definitely change to your preferred style if it's scrambled eggs, omelette, or even poached eggs.
Ingredients to Make Pesto Egg Recipe
- Pesto is the star that replaces olive oil or butter that will ordinarily be used when cooking eggs
- Eggs, I used 2 cage free eggs
- Bread, my favourite is sourdough that is toasted. Sometimes I will make a pesto egg sandwich and sneak in a slice of cheddar cheese (don't tell anyone!)
- Seasoning, I've used salt, black pepper and added chilli flakes for a little kick
How to Make Pesto Eggs
Time needed: 5 minutes.
- Heat the pesto on a frypan over medium heat
The amount per serving is totally optional. I've used 2 tablespoons
- Add your eggs
Once heated, crack in the eggs and cook to your liking
- Serve it up
Add to some toast, as a sandwich or wrap
No, no eggs are included. Typically it includes fresh basil, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, parmigiano reggiano cheese, and sometimes lemon.
They are a match made in heaven and can be used in so many ways, be scrambled, fried, poached or boiled.
More Healthy Recipes
- 1-2 tablespoon basil pesto
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Add 1 -2 tablespoons of pesto on a fry pan on medium heat. You won’t need to add any oil or butter as there’s enough oil in the pesto.
- Crack in the eggs and cook eggs to your liking, whether that’s scrambled, fried or sunny side up.
- Season with salt and pepper and some chili flakes (optional)
- Serve with toasted bread and enjoy!