This quick pickled onions recipe is easy to make in less than 5 minutes and is the perfect addition to so many different foods.
Quick Pickled Onions are one of my favourite condiments to make and something you will always find in my fridge.
They are super easy to make and are the perfect addition to so many different foods, not to mention the gorgeous pop of pink colour they bring.
This recipe is quick, hence the name, taking only 5 minutes to make. They have a light tangy taste so they provide a hint of zingy freshness to each bite!
Ingredients to Make Quick Pickled Onions
- Red onions are the best to use for their sweetness and also become so nice and pink once pickled
- White vinegar is my preferred vinegar but you can also use white wine vinegar or even apple cider. I wouldn’t recommend balsamic vinegar as the flavour and colour is too strong so it will become overpowering
- Maple syrup brings natural sweetness. You can substitute with agave, honey, or even sugars
- Salt brings a balance to the flavors, I preferably always use pink Himalayan sea salt
What to Eat with Quick Pickled Onions
Some of my favourite things to add them to are:
- Avocado on toast with Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Wraps and Sandwiches
The list can go on and on as they really taste great with everything!
- Slice the onions nice and thin for the quickest and best pickling results
- You can use a mandolin if wishing them to be all the exact same size however a sharp knife will also be suffice
- They will be ready to eat after an hour of pickling, however, the longer they are left the better they will taste. Personally, I love them after a few days.
How long do pickled onions last?
They will last about a month in the fridge in an air-tight mason jar, well that’s if they last that long!
Which vinegar is best for pickling?
I prefer to use white vinegar but you can also use white wine vinegar or even apple cider.
Quick Pickled Onions
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Peel and slice onions into thin slices and place into a clean distilled mason jar
- Pour over the warm water along with the vinegar
- Add the salt and maple syrup, secure the lid tightly and turn it it upside down a few times so all the ingredients are all mixed together evenly
- Place the jar in the fridge to set for at least 1 hour before eating. For best results, wait a few hours or overnight.