This Creamy Mushroom Toast recipe is perfect for breakfast or brunch, and the best part is that anyone can make this simple, tasty dish!
This Creamy Mushroom Toast is the perfect dish to have for breakfast, brunch, or lunch! It’s super easy to make and is such a yummy vegetarian meal 🙂
I love cooking with mushrooms for their umami flavor. They have a meaty texture so they’re a great meat substitute in so many dishes!
In this recipe, they’ve been sautéed with onion and garlic for a flavour bomb in every bite! Here are my tips on how to make the perfect Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions for this recipe.
Typically creamy mushrooms are made by using butter or cream. I, however, make my creamy mushrooms by sautéing with extra virgin olive oil. They turn out super creamy and much lighter.
You can also easily make it a vegan dish by using vegan ricotta cheese instead or serving over hummus!
Table of Contents
Ingredients to make Creamy Mushroom Toast Recipe
- Mushrooms are of course the star of this dish and a source of protein. I've used a mix of portobello mushrooms and Swiss brown / cremini mushrooms to give a different flavour and texture. White button mushrooms can also be used
- Extra virgin olive oil is my preferred oil to use when sautéing the mushrooms. A lot of recipes call for adding butter, but personally, I prefer and love the taste of olive oil
- Onion and Garlic are sautéed together before adding the mushrooms for extra flavour
- Parsley is added for some freshness to the creamy mushrooms. Thyme or chives would also be great too but stronger in flavor
- Ricotta cheese is the cream element in this recipe. It's nice and creamy and perfect to spread onto your toast. You can also use a vegan ricotta brand to make this dish vegan
- Whole grain sourdough bread is always my favourite bread to use when I’m making toast
- Rocket / Arugula is tossed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make a quick salad. This is added to the creamy mushroom toast
- Chili flakes are optional but give a nice little kick!
How to make Creamy Mushroom Toast
Time needed: 15 minutes
- Pan fry onion and garlic
Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil with a sprinkle of sea salt for a few minutes over medium heat
Once translucent, add garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes
- Cook mushrooms
Add mushrooms with a light drizzle of olive oil and sauté over a high heat
When mushrooms have browned, season with salt and pepper, add chopped parsley and remove off the heat
- Prepare light salad
In a bowl, add rocket leaves, balsamic vinegar, light drizzle of olive oil and salt, and mix together
- Assemble Toast
To assemble, toast bread and spread ricotta cheese, add rocket leaves, layer on the mushroom mixture. Serve by garnishing with a sprinkle of chili flakes and enjoy your easy Creamy Mushroom Toast!
Tips to make Mushroom on Toast
- Never wash your mushrooms as this can make them very water. I like to clean mine with a damp paper towel to wipe any dirt off
- Always sauté the onions first and only add the garlic when the onions are cooked and translucent. This is because the garlic cooks much quicker and can burn easily
- When sautéing the mushrooms, never add any salt until the mushrooms are fully cooked and browned. Mushrooms release a lot of water, and adding salt speeds this up and can make them watery
- Cooking the mushrooms on a high heat is also recommended to make sure they are nicely browned and sautéed
- When making the rocket / arugula salad, add the dressing right before serving. This way it will hold its shape and form, as it collapses quickly when dressed
- Once the ricotta is added along with the sautéed mushrooms and rocket salad, you still want to have some crunch on your Creamy Mushroom toast. I’d recommend toasting your bread for a little extra time than usual, otherwise the bread will be on the softer side
More Mushroom Recipes
- Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms
- Mushroom Tart
- Rice Paper Dumplings
- Vegan Chicken Sandwich
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Vegan Bolognese
- Shiitake Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Gravy
Creamy Mushroom Toast
- 2 slices whole grain sourdough bread toasted
- 1 portobello mushroom sliced
- 4 swiss brown mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoon ricotta cheese
- ½ small onion sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic diced
- 3 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Handful arugula (rocket) leaves
- Salt and black pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Chili flakes (optional)
- In a large skillet sauté onion in 2 teaspoon of olive oil with a sprinkle of sea salt for a few minutes. Once translucent, add garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes
- Add mushrooms with a light drizzle of olive oil and stir over a high heat
- When mushrooms have browned, season with salt and pepper, add chopped parsley and remove off the heat
- In a bowl, add arugula leaves, balsamic vinegar, light drizzle of olive oil and salt, and mix together
- To assemble, spoon the ricotta cheese and spread on the toasted sourdough. Add the arugula salad, layer on the sautéed mushrooms and top with a sprinkle of chili flakes and enjoy your Creamy Mushroom Toast!