These Air Fryer Croutons are an absolute game-changer and are crazy easy to make!! They transform standard bread into golden crunchy nuggets that are perfect for salads, soups and even cheese boards!
Once you start making homemade croutons, there's really no going back! They taste so much better than store bought, and I love making them especially when I have stale bread laying around. Thanks to the glorious air fryer which is my best friend in the kitchen hehe. In just minutes, bread is completely transformed making this the perfect no waste recipe.
The best part is you can really use them in so many ways. My favorite is to add them to salads such as my healthy caesar salad for the perfect crunch. Not only that, but air fryer croutons are great to eat as a crunchy snack! Serve as an aperitivo alongside cheeses and dips and wash it down with a glass of limoncello spritz for an Italian delight 🙂
You can also add them to your favorite soup such as a creamy pumpkin soup for some texture. If you love your air fryer as much as I do, then this air fryer recipe is for you!
Table of Contents
Why you'll love this recipe
- No waste recipe: These air fryer croutons are great to use up any day-old bread or stale bread that is on its way out. They will be transformed to golden crunchy bites
- Versatile: You can really season the croutons in your favorite seasonings depending on preference and what you are serving them with. With different spices and herbs, the options are endless
- Easy peasy: These air fryer croutons are so easy to make in minutes! Just slice the bread, season and throw in the air fryer until golden
- Delicious!: These little nuggets are so delicious and highly addictive! You can really add them to so many different recipes or just enjoy on their own
Ingredients to make Air Fryer Croutons
- Bread of course is the key ingredient right! Use any type of bread you have on hand. I personally prefer using sourdough bread or whole wheat bread as it's what I normally eat. I also love using French bread or a baguette. If you have leftover stale or day-old bread that's even better for the ultimate crunch! You can also use gluten-free bread too!
- Extra virgin olive oil is my favorite oil to use. It not only tastes amazing but it helps achieve that golden color. You can use other oils such as avocado oil or melted butter, but olive oil always has my pick
- Herbs are key for flavor! The classic is of course oregano or italian seasoning which are really versatile and go with many dishes. Thyme, rosemary or even dried parsley work great too
- Spices bring out lovely aromatics to the air fryer croutons. Here I've used garlic powder as a simple base to start with. Salt and black pepper are always also added for base flavoring
- Experiment with many other flavorings too! Some other favorite additions I like to use are onion powder, smoked paprika, grated parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes for some spice
How to make Air Fryer Croutons
- Preheat air fryer to 200°C/400°F. Cut bread into bite sized cubes
- In a bowl add bread with olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix to combine
- Add bread cubes to the air fryer basket and air fry for 2 minutes. Then open and give it a little shake. Cook for 1-3 minutes depending on how golden you would like them to be
- Remove from the air fryer and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot. Allow to cool slightly and they're ready!
Tips and Tricks
- Try and cut your bread into similar sized cubes so they cook evenly
- Cooking time can change slightly depending on your air fryer strength and type of bread, so keep an eye on them as they can crisp up super quick
- Allow the air fryer croutons to cool slightly before serving, this will allow them to crisp up even more
- Shake the air fryer basket halfway through cooking for even coloring and crunchy goodness
Storage and Reheating
- Store any leftover croutons in an airtight container or sealed zip lock back for up to 1-2 weeks at room temperature
- Revive the crunch by popping the croutons in the air fryer for a quick reheat to restore that crunch
- You can also transform any leftovers into bread crumbs! Simply pulse in a food processor
What to serve Air Fryer Croutons with
- Healthy caesar salad
- Pasta e fagioli
- Bread dipping oil
- White bean dip
- Pumpkin soup
- Cheese board or charcuterie board
Cook the croutons in a single layer and not have them overlapping or overcrowded. This will ensure all edges get nice and golden with the perfect crunch
Keep the croutons in an airtight container or sealed zip lock back ensuring the air has been removed. If the croutons aren't as crunchy, simply pop back in the oven or air fryer for a few minutes to restore the crunch!
No, not at all! Spread the seasoned croutons on a baking sheet and bake in the oven. The cooking time will increase a little from my below recipe
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Crispy Breaded Tofu
- Homemade Falafel
- Custard Yogurt Toast
- Pasta Chips
- Vegan Crab Rangoon
- Avocado Fries
- Crispy Chickpeas
- Teriyaki Salmon
- Kale Chips
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Air Fryer Croutons photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Air Fryer Croutons
- 4.5 oz bread of choice (I've used whole wheat sourdough bread. Stale or day-old bread is perfect too)
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian herbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 200°C/400°F. Cut the bread into bite sized cubes and add to a large bowl
- Drizzle over the olive oil, add garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss the bowl to mix, you can also use your hands to ensure all pieces are covered
- Add the seasoned bread cubes to the air fryer basket in one even layer and air fry for 2 minutes. Open the air fryer and give a light shake to move around the piecesCook for a further 1-3 minutes depending on how golden you would like them to be. Ensure to keep an eye on them
- Remove from the air fryer and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot. Allow to cool slightly which will allow them to become extra crunchy and your air fryer croutons are ready! Serve on your favorite salad or soups such as my healthy caesar salad and enjoy!