This Crispy Chickpea recipe will teach you how to make the perfect crunchy snack two ways in the oven and in the air fryer.
The perfect crunchy snack to enjoy whilst watching your favourite movie or tv show is crispy chickpeas! In this recipe, I will show you how to make crispy chickpeas two ways, in the oven and in the air fryer.
Warning, these are super addictive! Importantly they are packed with protein and are versatile and can be added to salads and other meals.
This recipe is easy using minimal ingredients and can be made in less than 20 minutes.
Ingredients to Make Crispy Chickpeas
- Chickpeas, cooked or canned will work fine
- I love seasoning with olive oil, sea salt, cumin, garlic powder, and paprika as a combination. You can add chili and other spices as preferred, so be creative as you like!
How to Make Crispy Chickpeas
- Add dried chickpeas and all other ingredients in a bowl and mix
- Add to an Air Fryer or Oven (refer to cooking times below)
- Once ready, turn the heat off and let them rest in the Air Fryer or Oven for 5 minutes
- Before baking, ensure chickpeas are completely dry. Make sure all moisture is removed before they are baked otherwise they will be chewy.
- Chickpeas can burn very quickly, so make sure to keep an eye on them whilst cooking
- To get chickpeas super crispy, once cooked, let them rest in the oven/air fryer with the heat off for 5 minutes
- For storage, I've found that leaving chickpeas in an open container or bowl keeps the chickpeas crispy. Don't store in a plastic bag or airtight container as this will create moisture and make them chewy
Serve in a bowl and enjoy your crunchy snack!
More Chickpea Recipes
- 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Drain and dry chickpeas thoroughly in between a kitchen towel, picking out any loose skins
- Add to a bowl with all remaining ingredients and using a spoon or your fingers, mix and coat all chickpeas
- Cook at 180°C/350°F for 11 minutes. Check the chickpeas, if they aren't crispy enough cook for an extra minute and check again. Be careful not to leave in too long without checking as they can burn very quickly.
- Once ready, turn the heat off and let them rest in the Air Fryer for 5 minutes
- Cook at 220°C/425°F for 18-20 minutes (depending on oven strength). Remove at 10 minutes and shake the tray so the chickpeas move around. Be careful not to leave in too long without checking as they can burn very quickly.
- Once ready, turn the heat off and let them rest in the Oven for 5 minutes
- Allow chickpeas to cool on the tray once removed from the oven for 5-10 mins to help them crisp up even more and enjoy your crunchy snack!