These Vegan Crab Rangoons are crunchy wontons with a creamy filling that make the perfect snack, appetizer or party food!
These Vegan Crab Rangoons are crispy and make the perfect appetizer and party food!
They’re a plant based version of the popular crab rangoon that are wontons filled with a crab and cream cheese mixture.
Just imagine...crunchy vegan wontons with a creamy filling...mmm YUM!
I’ve never had a crab rangoon before and have seen them trending all over social media! Have you ever craved something you’ve never eaten? Hehe
I just knew I had to make a vegan version that everyone can enjoy! They’re also made in the air fryer and are still super crispy!
You can also make vegetarian crab rangoons by using regular cream cheese instead.
Dipped in sweet chili or your favourite dipping sauce, these vegan crab rangoons will be your new favourite thing to make!
Ingredients to make Vegan Crab Rangoons
- Firm tofu and carrots are grated to be the "crab" substitute for these rangoons! Hearts of palm are also a great substitute too
- Spring onions/scallions give a pop of colour and taste! You can also add onion powder but I prefer additional spring onions
- Garlic makes everything better right?? If you're not a huge garlic fan, reduce to 1 clove. You can use garlic powder if you prefer
- Ginger, I haven't noted an amount as it's an ingredient you either love or hate. I love it, so I add quite a lot 🙂
- Worcestershire sauce is traditionally used. Just ensure you purchase a vegan brand if you are vegan as it usually contains anchovies
- Soy sauce is added for extra flavour. I always prefer using the sodium-reduced brandsSesame oil gives a lovely nuttiness
- Sugar is added for a little sweetness, especially as imitation crab in standard crab rangoons is quite sweet. I've used Coconut Sugar but you can use your preferred sugar
- Vegan cream cheese is added for the creaminess. It's on the plain side which is why the remaining ingredients are important to bring a pop of flavour in every bite! You can also make vegetarian crab rangoons by using regular cream cheese instead
- Wonton wrappers are used to wrap the filling. if you are vegan, ensure you purchase vegan wonton wrappers, as they can sometimes include eggs
How to make Vegan Crab Rangoon
Time needed: 30 minutes.
- Prepare ingredients
Leave cream cheese to soften at room temperature and press tofu to remove excess water
Grate tofu and carrots with a box grater and place in a large mixing bowl
- Create mixture
Grate tofu and carrots with a box grater and place in a large bowl
To the same bowl, add chopped spring onions and grate in the garlic and ginger to taste. Add all sauces, sesame oil, sugar, cream cheese with a pinch of salt to taste and stir together using a disposable glove or a spoon
- Fold the crab rangoon's
Scoop a spoon of the mixture into the centre of a wonton wrapper. Dip your finger in water and dab all edges of the wrapper
To fold bring two opposite corners together to form a triangle and seal the edges with your fingers. Bring each remaining corner to the middle and seal sides together again to create a little pocket
Repeat the above with the remaining mixture until all crab rangoon’s are wrapped
- Time to cook
Preheat Air Fryer to 180°C/350°F
Spray the bottom of the air fryer with oil. Place rangoon's in the air fryer so they're not touching and generously spray with oil along the top and sides.
Cook for 10-12 minutes until they’re golden brown
Enjoy by dipping in sweet chilli, sirracha or your favourite sauce
Tips for Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Pressing the tofu removes the excess water and allows it to absorb all the flavours. I wrap my tofu in a clean tea towel or paper towels, and place heaving items on top, such as books or a pot
- Make sure to allow the vegan cream cheese to come to room temperature. This allows it to soften and mix in easier
- I like to mix the mixture with my hands with a disposable glove. You can use a spoon but I find using your hands works better
- To make the wrapping process quicker, make a little dipping station where you can wrap 3-4 at a time like a production line. Make sure to have a small bowl of water or ramekin to help when dabbing the edges of the wontons.
- Don’t over fill the wonton wrappers as it will cause the rangoons to pop open when they’re cooked.
- When folding the wontons, practice makes perfect! Don’t stress about the perfect shape, just make sure to seal them properly with your fingers along the edges
- If cooking in the air fryer, spray them well with oil spray, don’t be shy 🙂 It helps them get crispy
- Once cooked set aside on a cooling rack rather than on a plate so the bottom doesn’t go soggy from the heat
Firm tofu and carrots can be grated as a crab rangoon substitute. Hearts of palm are also a great substitute too
Yes definitely! Once the crab rangoons have been wrapped, place flat on a tray into the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour. Once they’ve frozen, you can rearrange them in a zip lock back and freeze them easily
Rangoon are wontons that are filled with a crab meat mixture and cream cheese, then cooked as deep fried. In this recipe however, I have air fried the rangoons for a healthier alternative
More Vegan Recipes
- Vegan Bolognese
- Cauliflower Steaks
- Thai Yellow Curry
- Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Homemade Crunchwrap
- Quinoa Salad
- Overnight Oats
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Vegan Crab Rangoon photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Vegan Crab Rangoon
- 110 g firm tofu
- 13 wonton wrappers
- 1 medium carrot
- 200 g softened vegan cream cheese
- 2 spring onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon sugar - I’ve used raw coconut sugar
- Fresh grated ginger
- Salt to taste
- Leave cream cheese to soften at room temperature and press tofu to remove excess water
- Grate tofu and carrots with a box grater and place in a large bowl
- To the same bowl, add chopped spring onions and grate in the garlic and ginger to taste. Add all sauces, seasme oil, sugar, cream cheese with salt to taste and mix together using a disposable glove or a spoon
- Place a spoon of the mixture into the centre of a wonton wrapper. Dip your finger in water and dab all four sides
- To fold, bring two opposite corners together to form a triangle and seal the edges with your fingers. Bring each remaining corner to the middle and seal sides together again to create a little pocketRepeat the above with the remaining mixture until all the rangoon’s are wrapped
Air fryer crab rangoons
- Preheat air fryer to 180°C/350°F
- Spray the bottom of the airfryer with oil. Place rangoon's in the air fryer so theyre not touching and generously spray with oil along the top and sides.Cook for 10-12 minutes until they’re golden brown
Deep frying crab rangoons
- Heat a pot with a high smoke oil such as avocado oil, grapeseed oil or canola oil
- Carefully drop crab rangoons in the oil one at a time, making sure not to overfill the pot so they have room to fry
- Fry for a few minutes until they are golden brown
- Enjoy with sweet chili or your favourite dipping sauce and enjoy!