My beetroot hummus is such a simple recipe with a gorgeous and vibrant colour, it's bound to impress every time. With the main ingredients being beetroot and chickpeas, this makes the dip super healthy and packed full of protein.
This hummus looks so pretty and fancy and is really easy to make with only a handful of ingredients.
Ingredients to Make Beetroot Hummus
- Beetroots, I use raw beetroots and steam boil them but you can use pre-cooked beetroot to save time
- Chickpeas, these can be canned or dried chickpeas that have been soaked and cooked
- Tahini, one of the key ingredients and important for the overall texture and flavour profile of the hummus. Make sure to check the label to ensure that sesame is the only ingredient
- Garlic, you only need a couple of cloves
- Lemon, to provide some acidity to the dish
- Olive oil will add to the silkiness and a good drizzle is needed for garnish
How to Make Beetroot Hummus
- Start by steam boiling your beetroots in 2 centimetres of water
- While the beetroots are cooking, gather your remaining ingredients for the hummus and blend together in a food processor
- Peel and chop your cooked beetroots into pieces, add to the food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend together. Keep blending until fairly smooth.
- When blending, be sure to add a couple of ice cubes, I've found that this helps in making the hummus more creamy
- Adding a splash of water helps with the blending process
- If you are using canned chickpeas, use the liquid in the can instead of water as it gives extra flavour
Garnish with olive oil, chopped parsley and sesame seeds. Serve with pita chips, crackers or veggie sticks and enjoy as a great appetizer for any gathering or occasion!
More Chickpea Recipes
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so make sure to tag me and send me a photo on Instagram so I can also share the love.
- 2 medium beetroots
- 2 cups chickpeas (cooked or canned)
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¾ lemon squeezed
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaped tablespoons tahini
- 100 ml cold water
- 2 ice cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Steam boil washed beetroots whole in 2 cm of water until soft, approx 40 minutes
- In the meantime, add all remaining ingredients into a food processor and blend until well combined and chickpeas are minced. Note if mixture is too thick or not blending, add another splash of cold water.
- Once beetroots are cooked and a knife can go gently through, hold beetroots with paper towels or gloves and peel the skin off. It should peel off nice and easily if they are cooked through. Using the paper towels/gloves stops the beetroots from staining your fingers.
- Cut beetroots into smaller pieces, add to the food processor and blend with the other ingredients until well blended. It doesn’t need to be completely smooth as some texture is still fine but you don’t want it lumpy
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed
- Garnish with some parsley, sesame seeds and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve with pita chips or veggies and enjoy!