Weekends always feel better once they start with a hearty breakfast or brunch. This Persian Shakshuka is a family favourite in my household that we love to enjoy a few times a month. With just one special spice, you can turn plain eggs into a gorgeous Shakshuka!
How to Make Persian Shakshuka
- Fry onion in a pan until translucent
- Add turmeric and fry for 5 minutes
- Add tomatoes, season and fry together until tomatoes are cooked
- Crack eggs in the pan, keeping yolks intact, season then place the lid on
- After 3-4 minutes check to see if eggs are cooked to your liking
- My tip when making this dish is always to ensure you sauté the turmeric with the onions for at least 5 minutes. By doing so, it will cook the spice down and remove the bitterness.
- Ground turmeric has a strong taste, so if cooking with turmeric for the first time, I recommend starting with a smaller dosage
I love serving this dish with gooey runny egg yolks so I try to keep the yolks intact while cooking and serving. If you prefer your egg yolks cooked further, this can also be done too.
What better way to serve this dish with no other than crusty toasted bread. I love using some bread to clean up all the extra yolk left on my plate!
More Breakfast Recipes
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so make sure to tag me and send me a photo on Instagram so I can also share the love.
- 4 eggs
- 3 ripe roma tomatoes chopped into cubes
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Fry onion in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pan on medium heat
- Once onions have become translucent, add turmeric and fry for 5 minutes to release aromas. At this point, you will need to add the remaining olive oil
- Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and fry together until tomatoes are cooked
- Gently crack all eggs in the pan, keeping yolks intact. Season with salt and pepper and place the lid on
- After 3-4mins check to see if eggs are cooked to your liking (I personally like the yolk kept runny). If you see uncooked egg whites, use your spatula and poke holes to speed up the cooking process
- Serve with some crusty bread and enjoy 🙂