Looking for a healthy banana bread recipe? This recipe is made with whole foods and is naturally sweetened. Packed with fiber, protein, and essential nutrients, it's time to upgrade your traditional banana bread with this healthier and delicious option!
Banana Bread has always been one of my favourite things to eat as a snack, slice for breakfast, or even enjoy as afternoon tea.
Traditionally, banana bread can include a high amount of sugar and butter. So I've created my own healthy version without using any added sugars or butter, still keeping a beautiful flavour and moist texture. The batter is also made with whole grains by using rolled oats and chia seeds.
This recipe is a regular in my house, and I'm sure it will be in your home too 🙂
You can also add chocolate chips to make this a chocolate chip banana bread!
Have some ripe bananas or love banana flavor? You must try my Chocolate Chip Banana muffins, 4 Ingredients Cookies or Banana Chocolate Slice. Just delicious!
Ingredients to make Healthy Banana Bread
All the ingredients used in my recipe are whole-foods which makes this recipe super healthy
- Bananas are the star of this recipe! But the most crucial thing to remember is to use ripe bananas. The browner and spottier they are, the more natural sweetness they bring
- Rolled oats, for this recipe I use oat flour as the base rather than all purpose flour or whole wheat flour. I create my own oat flour by blending regular rolled oats to form the flour. To make the recipe gluten free, ensure you are using gluten-free rolled oats
- Baking powder is essential to help the banana bread rise along with creating a fluffy texture
- Walnuts are a super yummy component as they not only taste great, but they bring a nice crunch and different texture from the nuts. Pecans would be so yummy too
- Chia seeds, are my secret touch for a few reasons. They’re not only a superfood and provide extra protein, fiber and omega 3’s, however, they also help bind the mixture together and play a role in keeping the banana bread moist
- Egg, I've used 1 egg in this recipe however you can make this dish completely vegan by replacing it with a flax egg
- Coconut oil is my preferred oil for banana bread and all of my baking. I like the subtle taste and also the health benefits, however if you don’t like coconut oil, you can substitute with your preferred oil
- Pure Maple Syrup is used as it’s a natural sweetener, rather than using sugar. It also has a slight caramel taste. You can also substitute for honey, rice malt syrup or agave
- Milk, I use almond or oat milk however any dairy-free milk or regular milk will work
- Ground cinnamon, lastly a touch of cinnamon for its subtle beautiful smell and taste
- Vanilla extract great addition to enhance flavours
How to make Healthy Banana Bread
This healthy banana bread recipe is incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple steps, you'll have a tasty and nutritious treat that's perfect for breakfast, snack time, or even dessert.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Start by mashing ripe bananas with the back of a fork and add to a big bowl
- Add all wet ingredients and mix well (egg, coconut oil, maple syrup or honey, almond milk and vanilla extract) and give it a mix
- Blend oats in a blender to create oat flour consistency and add to the bowl
- Add all remaining dry ingredients and mix well (baking powder, chopped walnuts, chia seeds and cinnamon)
- Pour into a lined baking tin and flatten the top with a spatula. I like to also give the tin a couple of taps on the table so the mixture evens out
- Garnish with an additional banana on top (optional). Slice in half lengthways and slightly press into the batter before placing in the oven
Bake for 45 minutes and check that it's cooked by sticking a toothpick inside and see if it comes out clean. Let it rest in the tin for 10 minutes before removing, then place on a cooling rack for a further 10 minutes before slicing
Tips & Tricks
- Use overripe bananas, the riper the bananas, the sweeter and more flavorful your banana bread will be. If you have bananas that are turning brown and spotty, don't throw them away!
- A crucial step is to allow the banana bread to cool in its baking tin when removed from the oven for 10 minutes. Once removed, its best to also allow it to rest on a cooling rack for a further 10 minutes minimum before slicing.
- It stores in the fridge for about 5 days...if it lasts that long! Keep in an airtight container. Toast or heat in the microwave or toaster oven and it's as good as newly baked!
Yes, you can also add chocolate chips to make this a chocolate chip banana bread!
Yes, banana bread can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Wrap in plastic wrap or place it in a freezer bag, zip lock bag or container. Before serving, thaw the bread to room temperature
Check the banana bread is cooked by sticking a toothpick inside and see if it comes out clean. If the toothpick comes out wet, then it needs longer
More Baking Recipes
- Baked Oats
- Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- Cauliflower Steaks
- Mediterranean Frittata
- Crispy Chickpeas
- Spinach and Feta Triangles
More Bread Recipes
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Healthy Banana Bread photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Healthy Banana Bread
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 extra banana for garnish
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 4 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup almond milk
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F
- Mash bananas and add to a large mixing bowl
- Add all wet ingredients to the bowl and stir together
- Blend oats in a blender to create oat flour consistency and add to the bowl
- Add all remaining dry ingredients and mix well
- Pour into a lined loaf pan and for garnish slice a banana in half lengthways and slightly press into the batter before placing in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on oven strength)
- Check that it's cooked by sticking a toothpick inside and see if it comes out cleanLet it rest in the tin for 10 minutes before removing, then place on a cooling rack for a further 10 minutes before slicing
Hands down the best banana cake! I will make it again and again and again! Thanks Ayah for sharing your recipe!
That makes me so happy to hear! Its one of my favourites too xx
This banana bread is so delicious and not to mention it’s healthy compared to the usual heavy butter and sugar made banana bread. My house smells like a yummy bakery.
so happy you love this recipe too, hehe yes I love the smell of the house while its baking 🙂
Yummy Banana bread I made it and enjoyed it
So glad you love this recipe Parisa xxx
I love this recipe. I made it for the first time and I was a little apprehensive because I have never used oatmeal flour before and it came out fantastic. Not too sweet and super healthy and goes really well when toasted with butter.
So glad you love it too! I love it with peanut or almond butter toasted 🙂
Best recipe. Always turns out great. My toddler loves it and it's packed with good stuff so I'm happy to give it to him
Oh yay!! So happy your toddler loves it too 🙂
AMAZING! I left mine in the oven for 60 mins for that beautiful brown colour and crunch! 5 stars! Just wondering how many calories per approximate slice? Xxx thank you?
So happy to hear Kaitlin, its one of my Fav recipes too! I will be looking at adding a nutritional table on all my recipes in the near future xxx
AMAZING! I left mine in the oven for 60 mins for that beautiful brown colour and crunch! 5 stars! Just wondering how many calories per approximate slice? Xxx thank you!! Prayer
Love this banana bread!! Maybe a bad question but, it says 260kcla, is that per slize or the whole bread? 🙂
So happy you love it so much Kari 🙂 Its per slice dear if sliced into 10 slices xxx
Is it okay to use almond flour instead of oats?
I havent tried myself to know how the texture will be lovely, but I mean its worth a try xx
I have made this banana bread so many times now that I know the measurements by heart ! Thank you so much for sharing your recipes.
The vegan blueberry pancake is another one of my favorites.
Awww so happy to hear that Mashinda!!
Hi! Do we used soaked chia seeds or dry?
regular dry chia seeds dear xxx
The best !
So glad you like it so much too 🙂
Hi there, just wandering if I can sub the oat flour for spelt flour instead? Thanks.
Hi! Just wanted to know if we should add soaked chia seeds or dry?
This has become the only banana bread I make. Anyone I make it for becomes addicted. So happy I found Cooking with Ayeh on IG.
Thats so great to hear!! So happy you're here too xxxx
What an amazingly easy, healthy and tasty recipe.
Who doesn’t have spare bananas handing around?
It’s even better the next day warmed up a little.
Yes! Add some peanut butter too and its even better 🙂 xxx
I made this yesterday! I love it! I eat it with a drizzle of peanut butter and black coffee 🙂 delicious!
Peanut butter on banana bread is heaven!
I baked this banana bread 1 week ago to try a healthier version of this delicious sweet! Today I had to bake it again as everyone in the house was requesting it
Great as a breakfast with a cup of coffee or as a snack.
Btw, don’t forget to add walnuts there! It’s a great crispy feature in the recipe.
Forgot to add the rating 🙁 with no doubts it’s a 5-star recipe *****
Yay thank you so much 🙂
Aww love that! Especially that you had to remake it 🙂 x
Obsessed with this cake❤️❤️❤️
Hehe me too xxx
If you want a guilt free - DELICIOUS - moist Banana bread then this recipe is for you 🙂
This healthy banana bread is hands down the best!! Once I bake, does not last long in my household! Sooo yummy!!
Instead of walnuts, I added frozen raspberries and blueberries! Yum yum!
The best compliment, makes me so happy to hear! Hehe its always gone so quick in my house too 🙂
Hands down the best gluten free, dairy free, natural sweetener banana bread! Cannot recommend highly enough. I'd been trying multiple recipes and ended up disappointed every time. This one goes together so easily and is moist, delicious and not overly sweet.
So happy you love this as much as I do Elizabeth 🙂 xxx
Loved this recipe. It was super easy and delicious. Will definitely make this again 😀
So glad you love it Preet! x
Such a yummy banana bread recipe, it doesn't have that odd texture that a healthy banana bread can sometimes get.
Yay so happy you loved this recipe Renee xx
Have made this many times and adapt with different fruits and ground almonds too.
Perfect afternoon snack with a cup of Tea
So happy you love this too Jenna! Its the best afternoon snack 🙂
Tasneem Delos Santos
Love it! So glad to found this recipe. I usually fail with baking recipes but this was so easy and the results were delightful. (This does not last 5 days because it's THAT good, my fam has it for breakfast and snacks)
Hehe love that! It never lasts in my house that long too xx
Seriously the best recipe and I have lost count how many times I have made it!! Bring on better banana price so I can keep making heaps! I add almond meal or blended whole almonds to the recipe too!!
So happy you love it so much too sweety xxx
Super easy and delicious!! I’ve made this SO many times 🙂
So glad you love it Nagi!!
The best banana bread I’ve ever made Thanks Ayeh
Aww so happy to hear that Farzane xxxx
We absolutely LOVE this recipe and have been making it every weekend since May!! 🙂
Highly recommend trying it. Yummiest banana bread I’ve ever made and so healthy too!!
Thanks for creating this Ayeh 🙂
So happy you make this so often too Asha! The best compliment xxx
So yummy 🙂 xxxx
Absolutely delicious and so easy to make! I make this regularly not only for home but for some elderly residents at my work. They love how it's not overly sweet.
Goes great for school snacks, and my partner loves when I add some banana protien for an after gym snack
Highly recommend it!
Aww love this Olivia 🙂 xxxx
Made this tonight and it's soft and moist and crunchy on the outside. Managed to sneak it in while home schooling x 4 angels..
Aww love that, so happy you loved it Michael
So good! My girls ate it up! Been asking for it this am for breakfast:)
Hehe the best compliment!!
Very delicious; approved by toddler as well. Thank you Ayeh 🙂
Thats the best compliment!!
Is this 2 cups of rolled oats and then grind the 2 cups of oats and just pour that in? Or is it 2 cups of oat flour- knowing that rolled oats and oat flour takes up a different amount of space?
Two cups of oats dear, then blended into oat flour 🙂
Baked like a dream and so delicious. Thank you for this recipe, now a staple for our family!
Yay so happy you love it as much as I do xxx
Absolutely full proof and 100% healthy recipe. Tried it and got it right in the first go. Added some chocolate chips and makes it even more tastier and sweeter.
Yayy so glad you loved it so much too! Choc chips are the nest little addition 🙂
Loved the recipe as someone who likes the banana bread to be less sweet. Served it with caramel whiskey sauce for some friends who like it sweeter.
Perfect to hear this dear!!
I've never been into baking and have never made banana bread before. This recipe was super easy to follow and also super tasty! I don't like overly sweet treats. I loved all the healthy substitutes and even added some sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
This has kept moist and is perfect when toasted with a bit of butter. Highly recommend!
Yay so happy to hear lovely! Its actually the first recipe I ever shared so im so glad you love it xxx
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been baking this recipe every second day. My family loves it.
Aww so happy to hear!
I loved this bread! I am currently waiting for my bananas to be perfect so I can make more!!
Yayy the best news! Its one of my most fav recipes ive ever shared. so glad you love it too! Share a pic with me on instagram next tome 🙂
So lovely to hear you think so too 🙂
I have made this cake several times, it never disappoints. Thank You Ayeh.
So lovely to hear Kylie! You are most welcome xx
This has now become our staple morning tea snack with coffee, my husband who is usually not a banana bread fan, absolutely love this recipe!
Aw love this! Its my favourite with my mid morning coffee too 🙂
Ayeh that’s the winner if the winners for banana bread! Thanks for sharing this beautiful recipe <3
Aw so lovely to hear Pari! Its one of my favs too 🙂
Absolutely in love with this recipe! Super quick, healthy and delicious. Will definitely be making a bigger batch. Highly recommended!
So lovely to hear Pritha 🙂
I am by no means a great baker but this recipe was super easy to follow and made with simple ingredients that we had at home and my family loved it so much, that it was gone in no time. It was absolutely delicious and very healthy. I can’t wait for my bananas to go ripe, so I can make it again!
This is so lovely to hear!! Its the best compliment to hear your whole family loved it too 🙂
Hi Ayeh! Thanks for the delicious recipe! Just a question...mine comes out really moist on the inside and not very bread like consistency like yours. What could I be doing wrong? Im following the recipe exactly except for using store bought oat flour, white chia seeds. I also leave it in for the full hour.
You might need to bake a little longer dear as all ovens are a different in strength. Also with the bananas you are using, if they are large in size, you may only need 2 so its not too wet in the middle 🙂 hope this helps Anita, let me know xxx
Just discovered your site today. Can't wait to try some recipes!!
Just wondering what nut would be best substituted for the walnut's in the Banana bread? (allergic to walnuts)
Almonds would be great too! Hope you love this one x
I’ve baked it for my vegan daughter and she absolutely loved it. She had it every morning when she’s in rush to college.
Loved it and will bake it again and again .
Oh what an amazing compliment! So happy she loved it so much xx
Love all your recipes and short stories - would this work with all almond flour or a combination with King Arthur GF flour? as I have issues with oats as I'm celiac, even if they're certified GF.
I havnt tried myself Mia but its totally worth the shot! Let me know how you go xx