Believe me when I say, these Parmesan Crusted Potatoes are totally worth the hype!! They are golden and crispy, packed with a cheesy, garlicky flavor and will be your new favorite way to eat potatoes. Yep they really taste like perfection!
I don't know about you, but I love love love potatoes! No, I mean it! They are probably my favorite veggies and I love them cooked in basically any way.
These crispy parmesan roasted potatoes make the perfect side dish to serve over the holidays, a bbq, or a dinner party, and great for Sunday dinner. I was totally surprised by how good these were! They’re also super easy to make too which is a bonus.
You can also try this same method of a parmesan crust with other veggies, like I have with these Parmesan Carrots....YUM!
They work perfectly with a side of this delicious meat-free gravy 🙂
I kept seeing these parmesan crusted potatoes trending all over social media and Tiktok and now I can see why! Roasted parmesan potatoes aren't a new thing, they have been around for years…but the step of dipping the potatoes into extra parmesan before they are roasted is a game changer! It gives a golden crust that becomes crispy and just so so good! Run, don't walk and try these!
Table of Contents
Why you'll love this recipe
- Crispy Perfection. These Parmesan Potatoes have a golden-brown, crispy crust that makes you want more with every bite!
- Flavor Explosion. The combination of parmesan cheese, garlic, and herbs creates a mouthwatering flavor profile that takes these potatoes to another level
- Versatile. Serve them as a side dish at the holidays, your next dinner party or Sunday dinner. They’re perfect for any occasion and will complement any meal from vegetarian to even chicken dishes
- Quick and Easy. With minimal prep time and simple ingredients, this recipe is super easy to make and great for a last-minute dish
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Potatoes, I've used Yukon gold potatoes which are great for roasting. Try and use small to medium sized potatoes. I like to leave the skin on myself when making crispy parmesan potatoes, but this is optional if you're not a fan. Russet potatoes and red potatoes will also work too
- Extra virgin olive oil, as always is my preference. Melted butter is also really common in this recipe, but if you've been here for a while, you’ll know I'm an olive oil girl 🙂 The flavor just works so well with the garlic and parmesan
- Garlic cloves are grated and used for the marinade. I always prefer fresh garlic rather than garlic powder which tastes so good once roasted. You can also use onion powder or other spices such as smoked paprika
- Fresh parsley leaves give a lovely fresh color and flavor to the parmesan roasted potatoes. If you can't get your hands on fresh parsley, dried parsley will be fine to use too. Other dried herbs you can alternatively use are oregano, chives, rosemary, thyme or Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese...well you can't have parmesan crusted potatoes without parmesan right! It's always best to buy a block of fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and grate it yourself. It will give you so much more flavor trust me!
You can also substitute it with a vegan parmesan cheese to keep it a plant based recipe
- Red pepper flakes are added for a little kick! They won't be too spicy unless you add more and want them to be 🙂 But if you prefer to leave the chili out, add cracked black pepper instead
- Sea salt is also added to the marinade. You can also add a sprinkle of flakey salt upon serving them too, you won't need too much as the cheese is nice and salty
How to make Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
These popular parmesan crusted potatoes are easy to make and pack a punch of flavor! Here are my simple steps below.
- Start with a large bowl and add olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt, red pepper flakes and half of the grated parmesan cheese
- Give it the parmesan mixture a good mix, it should be a thick paste consistency
- Prepare the potatoes by slicing them in half, then scoring them with diagonal slits along the inside. Turn the potatoes and make diagonal slits the other way crossing over the first slices
- Toss the potatoes into the marinade bowl and give it a good mix so they are coated on both sides
- To a plate add the remaining parmesan cheese and then dip the cut side of the potatoes into the parmesan (this will give you that beautiful crust!)
- The potatoes should be covered with parmesan on the inside, just like in the image above
- Oil a baking sheet and place potatoes facing downwards. Brush on any leftover mixture and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes
- The potatoes should be cooked tender all the way through with a lovely golden coating. Now it's ready to serve!
Tips and Tricks
- Buy a block of fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and grate it yourself! It has so much more flavor this way than buying pre-grated cheeses. I buy mine from a local Italian grocer
- Ensure to finely grate the parmesan cheese. This will give you better coverage and a better crust. Looking back at my parmesan roasted potatoes now, I would have grated it even more finely if I could rewind the clock
- Make sure you face the potatoes down on the baking pan in an even single layer. This will create a golden crust on the insides of the potatoes once you bake them
Storage, Reheating and Freezing
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days (well thats if you have any leftovers)
- Reheat in the air fryer for 3-5 minutes and they will be nice and crunchy again. You can also reheat in the oven which can take a little longer or also in the microwave (bear in mind, the microwave won't have the same crisp)
- Freezing. While these potatoes are best enjoyed fresh, you can freeze them after baking. Allow them to cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-safe container. You can then allow to thaw, and reheat in the air fryer or oven
Absolutely! I’ve used Yukon Gold potatoes here but other potatoes such as russet potatoes are great too! Feel free to experiment with sweet potatoes for another option but they will need to be sliced differently
Ensuring your potatoes are thoroughly coated with the Parmesan cheese then place them in an even layer on your baking tray without overlapping
Sure! Prepare the potatoes up to the point of baking, then place in the oven when ready to cook
Definitely! Substitute dairy-free Parmesan alternatives for a delicious vegan version of these parmesan potatoes
More Potato Recipes
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- Spicy Crispy Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Toast
- Kotlet (Persian Patties)
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Parmesan Crusted Potatoes photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- 1 kg / 2 lb small to medium potatoes washed (I've used yukon gold potatoes)
- 3-4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves grated
- Handful of parsley leaves chopped
- 1 ¼ cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano)- ensure to finely grate it
- Good pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°FIn a large bowl add the olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt, red pepper flakes and half of the finely grated parmesan cheese. Stir and there’s your marinade, it should be a thick paste
- Slice the potatoes in half, then score them by making diagonal slits along the inside pieces, without cutting all the way though. Turn the potatoes, and make diagonal slits the other way crossing over the first slices
- Place the potatoes in the bowl with the marinade and make sure they’re all nicely coated on both sides
- Pour the remaining grated parmesan cheese onto a plate, then dip the cut side of the potatoes into the parmesan for an extra crust
- Add a light drizzle of olive oil or cooking spray to a baking dish, then place the potatoes cut facing down in an even layer. Brush on any leftover mixture and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes (until they’re cooked tender all the way the through with a lovely golden brown crust)Serve them up along your favorite dipping sauce or pour over a delicious meat-free gravy, and enjoy your crispy roasted Parmesan Crusted Potatoes!