This Banana Chocolate Slice recipe is the perfect way to use ripe bananas. It's made with wholefoods so it's healthy as well as delicious.
When you have old ripe bananas laying around, the first thing that usually comes to mind is banana bread right?? Well, here I have a different recipe for you with my Banana Chocolate Slice.
It's a great alternative to banana bread as it can be made in half the time in 20 minutes, being the perfect snack for that morning or afternoon sugar craving. It even pairs well with coffee or tea at breakfast!
It's also super healthy, made with whole foods and dark chocolate chips that taste heavenly when melted on the inside.
Table of Contents
Ingredients to Make Banana Chocolate Slice
- Bananas, always use ripe bananas, the browner and spottier they are, the more natural sweetness they bring
- Egg, I’ve used 1 egg in this recipe however you can replace it with a flax egg to make it completely vegan
- Coconut oil is my preferred oil for all of my baking. I like the subtle taste and also the health benefits, however, if you don’t like coconut oil, you can substitute it with your preferred oil
- Rice malt syrup is a natural sweetener, rather than using sugar. It also has a slight caramel taste. You can also substitute for honey, agave or maple syrup.
- Milk, I use almond or oat milk however any plant-based milk will work
- Oat flour, I buy rolled oats and blend these to make oat flour. This is simple to do and is a much cheaper option than buying store-bought oat flour
- Baking powder is essential to help the banana bread rise along with creating a fluffy texture
- Dark chocolate or you can use dark chocolate chips if you prefer. I love dark chocolate at 75-85% cacao, as the bitterness is just perfect
- Vanilla extract great addition to enhance flavours
- Sea salt, that small pinch of sea salt bring the sweetness out even more
How to Make Banana Chocolate Slice
First thing is to preheat your oven whilst you prepare the batter. In a large bowl, use a fork and mash the ripe bananas. Then add wet ingredients to the bananas and mix them together. Follow by then adding all the dry ingredients and combine well.
Now add ¾ chopped or chocolate chips to the bowl and mix well. Your batter is ready!
Pour batter into a baking tin lined with baking paper and make ensure that the batter is all nice and flat covering the whole tin. To finish, add the remaining chocolate, then it's ready to bake for 20 minutes.
Once ready, let it rest in the tin first, then transfer to cool on a cooling rack before slicing into squares and digging in!
Tips & Tricks
- Always make sure to preheat the oven before starting to make the batter which speeds up the baking time
- I like to line my baking tin with baking paper, this reduces the cleanup and is so much easier to remove the slice from the tin afterward
- Once you pour the batter into the baking tray, spread it out with the back of a spoon. Then tap it down on a table so that it spreads out to all the sides
- Once removed from the oven, ensure it cools first in the tin before letting it cool a second time on a cooling rack. This ensures it has rested and doesn’t fall apart once it has been sliced
- Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge or in a cool place in your kitchen, it will keep for about 5 days.
This recipe has become one of my favorite treats, as it's super healthy, and gives me that chocolate hit when I’m craving some sugar in the afternoon.
The next day, I love heating a piece in the microwave for 10 seconds so the chocolate is all oozy and melted inside, YUM!
More Banana Recipes
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Banana Chocolate Slice photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Banana Chocolate Slice
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoon rice malt syrup / honey or any sweetener
- 2 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 60 g dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F
- Mash bananas into a large bowl with a fork
- Add the egg, oil, rice malt syrup, milk, and vanilla to the bananas and mix together
- Add flour, baking powder & sea salt and combine
- Chop dark chocolate into small cubes unless you’re using chocolate chips. Add ¾ into the mixture and combine together
- Pour batter into a square or rectangle baking tin lined with baking paper. Flatten to ensure batter is evenly distributed to the whole tin
- Top with remaining chocolate and place into the oven to bake for 20 minutes
- Check it’s cooked by placing a fork or toothpick to the slice and make sure it comes out clean. Depending on the depth of your tin, it could take an extra 5 minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes in the baking tin and a further 5-10 minutes on a cooling rack. Slice into squares and enjoy!