This Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms makes for an easy elegant dinner. With roasted garlic and spinach, this pasta is hearty and flavourful.
This Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms is a definite must try!
It's a dish that's super easy to make on a weeknight, yet one that will impress!
It's packed with three different types of mushrooms along with a whole roasted garlic bulb. These are then tossed with spinach and beautiful ribbons of pappardelle pasta.
My mouth is literally watering whilst typing this remembering how good it tasted hehe.
If you love hearty and flavourful dishes, then you must try my Pasta e Fagioli and Mushroom and Pea Risotto, classics!
This pappardelle pasta with mushrooms recipe can easily be made vegan too by omitting the parmesan cheese.
Table of Contents
What is Pappardelle Pasta?
Pappardelle Pasta originated from the Tuscan region of Italy, which is traditionally made with egg in the dough mixture.
The pasta is long and flat, resembling wide ribbons.
Its a similar shape to Tagliatelle or Fettuccine Pasta but a much wider ribbon. It pairs great with a hearty sauce or ragu, but just as well with a nice light sauce like this recipe.
Pappardelle is a personal favourite pasta of mine 🙂 I find it looks so nice and elegant and it tastes amazing too!
How to Roast Garlic?
Roasting garlic in the oven is easy. Simply chop the top of the garlic bulb, so that the top of the garlic cloves are exposed.
Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and wrap up in aluminium foil.
Roast in the oven at 180°C/350°F for approximately 45 minutes.
When it's ready, let it cool down before squeezing all the garlic out.
Ingredients to make Pappardelle Pasta Recipe
- Pappardelle Pasta is my pasta of choice for this dish. They are thick ribbons of pasta that pair beautifully with the mushrooms and light sauce
- Mushrooms are the main component of the sauce making it a meat free and protein filled dish. I’ve used a mix of portobello, swiss brown, and button mushrooms for their different textures and flavours
- Garlic is roasted whole in the oven which makes it so creamy with a punch of flavour!
- Baby spinach is added at the end of the cooking time. It folds through the pappardelle pasta between the ribbons
- White wine is added as the base of the sauce. I love adding Pinot Grigio. You can also substitute this with vegetable stock
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (parmesan cheese) is added for its creaminess at the end. You can omit this to make a vegan version. You can also add nutritional yeast
- Fresh Thyme leaves bring a nice earthiness when sauteed with the mushrooms
- Chili flakes are optional, but I feel they give a nice kick to the dish
How to make Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms
Time needed: 55 minutes.
- Roast Garlic
Chop the top of the garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap up in aluminium foil. Roast in the oven at 180°C/350°F for approximately 45 minutes
- Cook Mushrooms
Wipe down all the mushrooms and chop them into roughly the same sizes. Sauté in olive oil, once browned, season with salt and pepper and thyme leaves
Then add white wine and allow it to reduce.
- Cook Pasta
In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta in heavily salted water until it’s almost fully cooked. Making sure to reserve some pasta water
- Add all together
Remove garlic from the oven, allow to cool slightly then squeeze out all the garlic into the pan with the mushrooms. Mix, add the baby spinach and cooked pasta. Add a good splash of pasta water and mix it through.
Sprinkle over chilli flakes and grate in the parmesan cheese and it’s ready to serve!
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure not to wash the mushrooms as this will make them watery. Always wipe them clean with a damp towel
- When sauteing the mushrooms, don't add the salt until they've started to brown. If you add the salt too early, it will draw the moisture out of the mushrooms which will make them watery
- Pappardelle pasta is quite delicate. Make sure to be gentle with the pasta from boiling it in the pot and when mixing it with the mushrooms
- Add the pappardelle pasta to the mushrooms a couple of minutes less than the noted cooking time on the box. You want to allow the pasta to finish cooking in the pan with the remaining ingredients
Typically pappardelle pasta is made with egg in the dough, however you can still find vegan egg free pappardelle pasta which is what I've used in this recipe
You will find pappardelle pasta at your local Italian or Mediterranean grocer, however selected supermarkets may also sell it
More Mushroom Recipes
- Baked Feta Pasta with Mushrooms
- Shiitake Mushroom Soup
- Mushroom Tart
- Vegan Chicken Sandwich
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Mushroom Carbonara
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Pappardelle Pasta photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms
- 180 g pappardelle pasta
- 600 g mixed mushrooms (portobello, swiss brown and button mushrooms)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 70 g baby spinach
- ⅓ cup white wine (or vegetable stock)
- 30-40 g parmigiano reggiano cheese (parmesan cheese)
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chili flakes
- Chop the top of the garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap up in aluminium foil. Roast in the oven at 180°C/350°F for approximately 45 minutes
- Wipe down all the mushrooms and chop them into roughly the same sizes
- Sauté in olive oil, once browned, season with salt and pepper and thyme leavesThen add the white wine and allow it to reduce slightly
- Cook the pasta in heavily salted water until it’s almost fully cooked. Making sure to reserve some pasta water
- Remove the garlic bulb from the oven, allow to cool slightly then squeeze out all the garlic into the pan with the mushrooms
- Mix, add the baby spinach and cooked pasta. Add a good splash of pasta water and mix it through.
- Sprinkle over chilli flakes and grate in the parmesan cheese and it’s ready to serve!
Monique Van den Heuvel
Love this recipe! First time with the garlic that way and we liked it a lot. Perfect amount of mushrooms. In a lot of recipes for mushroom pasta there is not enough mushrooms once you bake them. But this was spot on. Really enjoyed it! Thank you Ayeh
Makes me so happy to hear this lovely! Your pasta looked amazing!!
Everybody loved it!
It's a super easy recipe but the result is AMAZING
Awww love this! So glad you all loved it 🙂 xx
I tried to replicate this amazing dish. I had to substitute a couple of ingredients but let me tell you it was still absolutely delicious and i will definitely make this again. Thank you so much for sharing all your recipes please keep them coming.
Aww so happy to hear, many more to come 🙂 xxx
Suggestions for gluten free pappardelle pastas?
Hi dear, try your local Italian supermarket! They'll have a larger range of pastas and hopefully a gluten-free pappardelle otherwise use tagliatelle xx
Loved this recipe!! Made it exactly as directed and it tasted so delicious. The tips helped a lot so make sure to read! Cant wait to try more recipes 🙂
So happy to hear lovely, yay cant wait to see what else you try xxx
This was amazing. I made it for the family and they really liked it. I’ve never cooked garlic this way and never had pappardelle pasta before but loved both. A few too many mushrooms but other than that it was perfect!
So happy to hear you tried it and loved it! Hehe yes its loaded with mushies 🙂 xx
Best Pasta I have had all Year!! Thanks Ayeh!! <3
Aw this comment made my day! xxx
This dish was so easy and tasted amazing, perfect for this chilly weather!
Yay so happy to hear Nina, perfect for rainy cold days 🙂
This dish was so easy and delicious! Did it 2 times now. Also, any suggestions if I wanna use the garlic in the air fryer?
Aw lovely to hear! Do you mean to cook it in the airfyer?
Been dying to make this. Tonight's the night
Yayyyy enjoy lovely!! Cant wait to see it! Send me a pic on instagram xxx
My entire family loved this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!! Can't wait to try new ones!
Yay so happy your family loved it Katie! Your pasta looked so good!!
Can this be made ahead and reheated?
Yes it can dear. Id suggest cooking the pasta fresh and adding it when you're ready to eat it for the best taste and texture x
My husband is Italian born and bred and said this was the best recipe he has had in this country!! 5 star Restaurant quality!! Thank you
Oh wow what an amazing compliment dear!!!
I just made this and I thoughly enjoyed it. I didn't have a whole clove of garlic So I cheated with garlic powder. Excellent meatless dish. I did thicken the sauce a little. This recipe is going in my recipe book.
Amazing to hear lovely!!! So glad it made it to your book 🙂
I just made this dish and it was absolutely delicious. I didn't have a clove of garlic so I substituted with garlic powder and I thickened the sauce. I definitely will making this often. Excellent meatless dish.