This Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms makes for an easy elegant dinner. With roasted garlic and spinach, this pasta is hearty and flavourful.
This Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms is a definite must try!
It's a dish that's super easy to make on a weeknight, yet one that will impress!
It's packed with three different types of mushrooms along with a whole roasted garlic bulb. These are then tossed with spinach and beautiful ribbons of pappardelle pasta.
My mouth is literally watering whilst typing this remembering how good it tasted hehe.
If you love hearty and flavourful dishes, then you must try my Pasta e Fagioli and Mushroom and Pea Risotto, classics!
This pappardelle pasta with mushrooms recipe can easily be made vegan too by omitting the parmesan cheese.
Table of Contents
What is Pappardelle Pasta?
Pappardelle Pasta originated from the Tuscan region of Italy, which is traditionally made with egg in the dough mixture.
The pasta is long and flat, resembling wide ribbons.
Its a similar shape to Tagliatelle or Fettuccine Pasta but a much wider ribbon. It pairs great with a hearty sauce or ragu, but just as well with a nice light sauce like this recipe.
Pappardelle is a personal favourite pasta of mine 🙂 I find it looks so nice and elegant and it tastes amazing too!
How to Roast Garlic?
Roasting garlic in the oven is easy. Simply chop the top of the garlic bulb, so that the top of the garlic cloves are exposed.
Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and wrap up in aluminium foil.
Roast in the oven at 180°C/350°F for approximately 45 minutes.
When it's ready, let it cool down before squeezing all the garlic out.
Ingredients to make Pappardelle Pasta Recipe
- Pappardelle Pasta is my pasta of choice for this dish. They are thick ribbons of pasta that pair beautifully with the mushrooms and light sauce
- Mushrooms are the main component of the sauce making it a meat free and protein filled dish. I’ve used a mix of portobello, swiss brown, and button mushrooms for their different textures and flavours
- Garlic is roasted whole in the oven which makes it so creamy with a punch of flavour!
- Baby spinach is added at the end of the cooking time. It folds through the pappardelle pasta between the ribbons
- White wine is added as the base of the sauce. I love adding Pinot Grigio. You can also substitute this with vegetable stock
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (parmesan cheese) is added for its creaminess at the end. You can omit this to make a vegan version. You can also add nutritional yeast
- Fresh Thyme leaves bring a nice earthiness when sauteed with the mushrooms
- Chili flakes are optional, but I feel they give a nice kick to the dish
How to make Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms
Time needed: 55 minutes
- Roast Garlic
Chop the top of the garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap up in aluminium foil. Roast in the oven at 180°C/350°F for approximately 45 minutes
- Cook Mushrooms
Wipe down all the mushrooms and chop them into roughly the same sizes. Sauté in olive oil, once browned, season with salt and pepper and thyme leaves
Then add white wine and allow it to reduce.
- Cook Pasta
In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta in heavily salted water until it’s almost fully cooked. Making sure to reserve some pasta water
- Add all together
Remove garlic from the oven, allow to cool slightly then squeeze out all the garlic into the pan with the mushrooms. Mix, add the baby spinach and cooked pasta. Add a good splash of pasta water and mix it through.
Sprinkle over chilli flakes and grate in the parmesan cheese and it’s ready to serve!
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure not to wash the mushrooms as this will make them watery. Always wipe them clean with a damp towel
- When sauteing the mushrooms, don't add the salt until they've started to brown. If you add the salt too early, it will draw the moisture out of the mushrooms which will make them watery
- Pappardelle pasta is quite delicate. Make sure to be gentle with the pasta from boiling it in the pot and when mixing it with the mushrooms
- Add the pappardelle pasta to the mushrooms a couple of minutes less than the noted cooking time on the box. You want to allow the pasta to finish cooking in the pan with the remaining ingredients
Typically pappardelle pasta is made with egg in the dough, however you can still find vegan egg free pappardelle pasta which is what I've used in this recipe
You will find pappardelle pasta at your local Italian or Mediterranean grocer, however selected supermarkets may also sell it
More Mushroom Recipes
- Baked Feta Pasta with Mushrooms
- Shiitake Mushroom Soup
- Mushroom Tart
- Vegan Chicken Sandwich
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Mushroom Carbonara
- Vegan Gravy
More Pasta Recipes
- Broccoli Pasta
- Spinach Lasagna
- Pasta e Fagioli
- Burrata Pasta
- Lemon Garlic Pasta
- Baked Feta Pasta
- Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Pappardelle Pasta photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms
- 180 g pappardelle pasta
- 600 g mixed mushrooms (portobello, swiss brown and button mushrooms)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 70 g baby spinach
- ⅓ cup white wine (or vegetable stock)
- 30-40 g parmigiano reggiano cheese (parmesan cheese)
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chili flakes
- Chop the top of the garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap up in aluminium foil. Roast in the oven at 180°C/350°F for approximately 45 minutes
- Wipe down all the mushrooms and chop them into roughly the same sizes
- Sauté in olive oil, once browned, season with salt and pepper and thyme leavesThen add the white wine and allow it to reduce slightly
- Cook the pasta in heavily salted water until it’s almost fully cooked. Making sure to reserve some pasta water
- Remove the garlic bulb from the oven, allow to cool slightly then squeeze out all the garlic into the pan with the mushrooms
- Mix, add the baby spinach and cooked pasta. Add a good splash of pasta water and mix it through.
- Sprinkle over chilli flakes and grate in the parmesan cheese and it’s ready to serve!