This Mushroom Tart is a crispy puff pastry, topped with sautéed mushrooms on a cheesy base. Easy to make in less than 30 minutes!
This Mushroom Tart is one you need to try! Think crispy puff pastry, topped with sautéed mushrooms on a cheesy base…. Yum!
Here are my tips on how to make the perfect Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions for this recipe.
It's also super easy to make, all done in less than 30 minutes. It would be great to serve as an appetizer for a party or can make an easy meal served with a nice side salad.
If you love mushrooms as much as I do, then you have to try my Vegan Bolognese and Rice Paper Dumplings.
You can also easily make this a Vegan Mushroom Tart by using vegan cheese as the base.
The mushrooms are first sautéed with onions and garlic so they are packed full of flavour.
They are then baked on puff pastry until the edges are crispy and golden. I mean, who doesn't love crispy puff pastry right! These Upside Down Puff Pastries and Spinach and Feta Triangles are also some of my favourites.
Table of Contents
Ingredients to make Mushroom Tart
- Mushrooms are of course the hero of the dish! Here I’ve used a mix of Swiss Brown and White Button Mushrooms. You can also add a range of different mushrooms such as portobello and wild mushrooms
- Puff pastry is the base of the tart. I’ve used a frozen puff pastry sheet you can purchase at most supermarkets. This is my preferred base rather than a pie crust
- Brown onion works so well with sautéed mushrooms so I love adding them to the mixture
- Garlic because I’m a garlic girl and I love adding garlic to most dishes 🙂
- Cheddar cheese is added to the puff pastry dough base. You can also substitute with your favourite cheese such as as gruyere, gouda or even a vegan cheese to make this mushroom tart vegan
- Olive oil is used to saute the mushroom mixture rather than using butter
- Parsley is added at the end for a pop of green colour and freshness. You can also use fresh thyme too
How to make Mushroom Tart
Time needed: 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven
Set to 200°C/400°F
- Prepare ingredients
Dice onion and garlic, and slice the mushrooms
- Cook mushroom mixture
In a pan / large skillet sauté onions in 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Once translucent then add the garlic and stir down together
Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté on high heat. Once mushrooms are starting to brown, add an extra teaspoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper
Remove off the heat and allow the mixture to cool in a bowl at room temperature
- Assemble pastry
Thaw puff pastry sheet and place on a baking tray with parchment paper / baking sheet. Lightly score a square 1 inch border around the puff pastry sheet, making sure not to cut all the way through. Using a fork, poke a few holes in the middle of the pastry
Add the grated cheese to the middle of the pastry and top with the sautéed mushrooms. Spray the border with olive oil spray, or alternatively brush with egg wash
- Time to bake
Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or shallots, cut into 4 squares and enjoy your crispy Mushroom Puff Pastry Tart!
Tips to make Easy Mushroom Tart
- When sauteeing the mushrooms, ensure not to add any salt as this will make the mushrooms watery and they will boil rather than saute. Add the salt at the end once they’ve browned
- Allow the mushroom mixture to cool to room temperature while you prepare the puff pastry
- Place the thawed puff pastry sheet on the parchment paper when scoring and adding the toppings. This way it's easier to transport to the oven and keep it all intact
- When scoring the border, make sure not to cut all the way through. You want to only slightly indent the pastry sheet border so the crust will rise
- When adding the toppings, keep the cheese and mushrooms on the inside of the border. If the toppings are placed on the border, it can stop the crust from rising
- Allow the mushroom tart to cool on a cooling rack rather than a plate or dish. This will keep it crispy
Yes definitely. I find it's best to reheat in an air fryer or oven to keep it crispy
This is a vegetarian recipe as it uses cheddar cheese however you can easily make it vegan by substituting it with plant-based cheese
It's best to firstly not wash the mushrooms as this will make them watery and slimy. Saute the mushrooms on high heat and don't add any salt, as this will make the mushrooms watery. Only season with salt at the end once they have browned
More Appetizer Recipes
- Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice
- Upside Down Pastries
- Honey Glazed Halloumi
- No Knead Focaccia
- Homemade Falafel
- Bruschetta with Mozzarella
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to tag @cookingwithayeh and share your Mushroom Tart photo on Instagram so I can share the love.
- 250 g Swiss brown mushrooms
- 150 g white button mushrooms
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1 brown onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 60 g cheddar cheese grated
- 3 teaspoon olive oil
- Handful chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F
- Dice onion and garlic, and slice the mushroomsSauté onions in 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once translucentthen add the garlic and cook down together
- Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté on high heat. Once mushrooms are starting to brown, add an extra teaspoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepperRemove off the heat and allow mixture to cool at room temperature
- Thaw puff pastry sheet and place on a baking tray with a baking sheet. Lightly score a square 1 inch border around the puff pastry sheet, making sure not to cut all the way through. Using a fork, poke a few holes in the middle of the pastry
- Add the grated cheese to the middle of the pastry and top with the sautéed mushrooms. Spray the border with olive oil spray, or alternatively brush the border with egg wash
- Bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown. Top with chopped parsley, cut into 4 squares and enjoy your crispy Mushroom Tart!
Wow so easy to make and tasted absolutely amazing. Didn't know about not adding salt to the mushrooms till they are fully cooked, so a little schooling too
So happy to hear you loved them and the tips helped too 🙂
My toddler is mushroom obsessed so to have this tick all her boxes, be nutritious, look good and taste even better I am all in!! A very simple yet creative way to serve dinner. Thank you for the recipe and tips.
Aww so sweet to hear!! Such a bonus that your little one loved it too 🙂
So easy and amazing and delicious mushrooms tart. My bf already asked me to make it every weekend thank you for recipe. I cant wait to try more recipes.
Hehe Thats the best compliment!! Cant wait to see what else you try xx
Easy!! Fast and so delicious.
Can’t wait to make it again and add some other veggies the options are endless
So happy you loved it Gabby, your tart looked so yummy!
Easy and tasty kitchen
An amazing, easy to make and sooooo delicious recipe! I will definitely do it again I can't wait to try the other recipes
So lovely to hear this dear, especially that you will remake again! Cant wait to see what else you try xx
I made 4 mini ones and it was so good! Easy to make
Your tarts looked so good!! Extra crust this way too hehe xx
Could you use Swiss cheese?
Sure thing 🙂
Had some baby Bella mushrooms and one sheet of puff pastry. Came out well and tasty. Thank you for sharing.
Oh yum lovely to year 🙂