These healthy Baked Donuts are so easy to make in 20 minutes and are the perfect treat. They taste just like the real deal without the guilt.
These healthy Baked Donuts are so easy to make and taste just like the real deal!
What makes these homemade donuts healthier are a few simple substitutions. Firstly these are baked donuts rather than being fried which is the biggest difference.
I’ve also used wholesome ingredients which are less processed and have a higher nutritional value. They’re refined sugar free containing far less sugar than your standard donut.
When making these healthy baked donuts, you’re able to enjoy them without the guilt and still feel great afterwards 🙂
Easily made in 20 minutes and are the perfect treat for dessert and also great for kids. You can even enjoy one with your breakfast alongside coffee or tea!
Table of Contents
Ingredients to make this Baked Donuts Recipe
- Wholemeal flour which is the same as whole wheat flour is my preference being less processed than regular all purpose flour
- Coconut sugar is used making this recipe refined sugar free.
- Baking powder is added to make fluffy baked donuts
- Almond Milk is my milk of choice to use
- Coconut oil is used rather than melted butter or vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract is added for that beautiful scent and vanilla flavor
- Egg is also added for that airy texture
- Sprinkles are added to create the birthday cake theme
- Chocolate is used to dip the donuts for a glaze rather than icing. I've used extra dark chocolate and sugar free white chocolate
Substitutions for this Baked Doughnut Recipe
- Wholemeal flour can be substituted with oat flour, gluten free flour, or even coconut flour. I haven't however experimented myself to know if the texture will be the same with the same quantities used in this recipe
- Brown sugar can also be used rather than coconut granulated sugar
- Almond milk can be substituted with your preferred dairy-free milk such as oat milk or coconut milk
- Sprinkles can be swapped for a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Instead of dipping into chocolate, you can dip donuts into cinnamon sugar
Tips for these healthy Baked Donuts
- Ensure to generously spray the donut pan with oil spray. This allows the donuts to be easily removed from the tray and prevents them from sticking
- Don’t overfill the donut pan as you don’t want the mixture to overflow when it rises
- Gently tap the donut pan on the kitchen benchtop once the mixture has been poured in to flatten the tops. This ensures the batter is evenly spread
- Make sure the doughnuts are left to cool down before dipping into the melted chocolate
Yes they are, as there is only a small amount of oil used which is sprayed on the donut pan rather than being deep fried into oil.
Store donuts in the fridge for up to 4 - 5 days.
Yes, if using wholefoods that are less processed, they have a higher nutritional value. Such as refined sugar free which contains far less sugar than your standard donut.
- Chocolate Bark
- Healthy Apple Crumble
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Tiramisu Cups
- Panettone French Toast
- Healthy Strawberry Parfait
- Panettone Bread Pudding
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Baked Donuts photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
- 1 ¼ cup wholemeal flour
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon sprinkles
- Dark or white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180°C/375°C
- Add dry ingredients being flour, baking powder, and coconut sugar to a large bowl and mix together
- Pour in the wet ingredients being the almond milk, coconut oil, teaspoon vanilla extract, and crack in the egg to the same bowl. Mix until well combined, it should be a batter consistency
- Add the sprinkles and gently mix through
- Generously spray oil to a donut pan and pour the donut batter into each donut shape. Gently tap down on the kitchen benchtop to flatten the tops so the batter is evenly spread
- Bake in the oven for 10-13 minutes or until lightly golden (check they are cooked by sticking a toothpick in and ensuring it comes out mostly clean)
- Gently remove from the tray and let them cool on a wire rack
- For the chocolate glaze, melt chocolate chips of choice in a double boiler or in the microwave
- Dip the donuts into the melted chocolate allowing the excess to drip off then sprinkle over some sprinkles
- Allow chocolate to set and dig in!