I’ve had this Quinoa Salad the last five days in a row, so it’s about time I share it with you! It’s one of those salads that make you want more with each delicious spoonful 🙂
It’s a combination of my 3 favourite salads recipes put into one which are my Mediterranean Quinoa Salad, Shirazi Salad and my Chickpea Avocado Salad.
This quinoa salad is so colourful, fresh and super filling as it’s packed with protein and fibre.
It's also vegan, gluten free and dairy free too so everyone can enjoy it.
I love having meals prepped in advance so that it’s ready to eat on busy days when you don’t have time to cook. This quinoa salad can be made in bulk for meal prep as it keeps well in the fridge for a few days.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Quinoa I love using Tri Colour Quinoa for its pop of colours but you can also use white, red or black quinoa
- Persian or Lebanese Cucumbers are my preference as they’re full of flavour and have less water, however standard cucumbers can also work
- Roma tomatoes are my favourite tomatoes to use. Cherry tomatoes also work great
- Red onions give a nice sweetness, shallots or spring onions can also be used
- Avocado gives a lovely creaminess
- Kalamata Olives are my preferred olives as they have a nice salty taste and adds great flavour to the salad
- Mint leaves add a nice freshness, parsley can also be used
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil is always my preferred oil especially for salads
- Lemon or lime juice is added for its zesty acidity
- Balsamic Vinegar is subtle and sweet. Apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar can also be substituted
How to make Quinoa Salad
Time needed: 25 minutes.
- Cook Quinoa
Cook the quinoa and allow it to cool down. Here is my recipe on how to cook Quinoa
- Prepare ingredients
Dice cucumbers, tomato, red onion and avocado into small cubes. Dice kalamata olives and into small pieces. Then add all to a salad bowl.
Once Quinoa has cooled, add to the bowl and top with freshly chopped mint leaves
- Add dressing and serve
Squeeze in some lemon, add extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Mix together and enjoy!
Tips to make Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Cook the quinoa first and allow it to cool so it doesn't make the salad warm or ruin the vegetables from its heat
- I soak the onion in a bowl of water while I prep the rest of the salad to remove the harsh onion flavour
- Make sure to use a ripe avocado that isnt too soft as it can become mushy in the salad
- If making this salad in bulk for meal prep, I'd suggest not to dress the salad as it can get soft and will lose its crunch. I also recommend not tossing all the ingredients together until you are ready to serve
- Add the avocado on the day of eating so it keeps and wont brown or become mushy
More Healthy Salads
- Kani Salad
- Healthy Tuna Salad
- Rocket Pear and Parmesan Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Strawberry Spring Salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 Persian/Lebanese cucumbers
- 2 roma tomatoes
- ½ small red onion
- ½ large avocado
- 10 kalamata olives
- handful fresh mint leaves
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- Cook the quinoa and allow it to cool down. Here is my recipe on how to cook Quinoa
- Dice the cucumbers, tomato, red onion and avocado into small cubes. Dice kalamata olives and into small pieces. Add all to a salad bowl.
- Add the quinoa and top with freshly chopped mint leaves to the bowl
- Pour over the dressing and lemon juice, mix together and enjoy!