These Vegan Summer Rolls are healthy and super easy to make. A great way to sneak in veggies and plan for meal prep.
One of my favourite dishes to have especially in the warmer seasons and hot days are Vegan Summer Rolls.
They're light and fresh not to mention super easy to make along with being healthy, gluten-free and low carb.
It's also a great way to sneak in extra veggies as you can pack in a whole variety of goodies to make them nutritious and colourful.
I usually like to prepare enough of the fillings to last for a few days so that they can be treated as an easy meal prep option. This way, I can use the remaining fillings for lunch/dinner over the next couple of days.
I love filling rice paper wrappers with pan-fried tofu, veggies, and vermicelli noodles but you can also use any protein you prefer including prawns, chicken, Crispy Tofu and many more.
Ingredients to make Vegan Summer Rolls
- Rice Paper Sheets or spring roll wrappers are the main ingredient and is used to wrap the rolls. Available at most supermarkets in the Asian food section or can be found in Asian markets
- Vermicelli Noodles are thin rice noodles. To cook them, pour hot water over them then drain when soft, which takes about 10 minutes
- Filling ingredients are endless and can be altered to your liking and preference. You can easily also make these vegeterain summer rolls
Filling ideas for Summer Rolls
These are the ingredients I used in this recipe:
- Firm Tofu
- Red Cabbage
- Fresh herbs, my favourite is Mint
Below are some additional filling ideas:
- Bean sprouts
- Bell peppers
How to make Vegan Summer Rolls
Time needed: 15 minutes.
- Rinse rice paper sheets
Start by dipping or rinsing the rice paper wraps in cold water for a few seconds. They will soften quickly and can rip easily if they've been dampened too much
- Add fillings
Place your filling ingredients on the ⅓ section of the sheet closet to you. Don't overfill the rolls as they can rip easily if they have too much filling. I like to layer the fillings in even strips and layers. This way the ingredients will remain separate which will make them look nice and colourful
- Time to roll
Start to roll by lifting the bottom wrapper closet to you and pulling it over the fillings, giving it a little tuck so its nice and compact. Then fold the two sides in to close the ends off and continue rolling lengthways until the end
- Dip into a sauce
You can't enjoy these without a delicious dipping sauce. Dip into a homemade Peanut Butter Sauce or a quick soy sauce dip with some fresh chilli and sesame seeds works well too
Tips Summer Roll Recipe
- It's best to prepare all your fillings first which includes cutting up the veggies, cooking the protein, and also making the peanut sauce. So that once the hard part is done, you can then roll them up easily
- Make sure to cut the veggies in similar shapes and sizes, usually thin and long in length. This makes them easier to roll when they’re shaped the same along with being easier to eat
- Ensure to roll the summer rolls on a damp kitchen towel or wet chopping board as they will stick to a plate making them harder to roll, and they can also rip this way
- Try and use a variety of veggies with different colours. This makes the rolls look beautiful and colourful
More Meal Prep Recipes
- Mediterranean Frittata
- Zucchini Corn Fritters
- Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Vegan Summer Rolls
- 12 rice paper sheets
- 250 g firm tofu
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium cucumbers
- ⅛ red cabbage
- 75 g vermicelli noodles
- ¾ avocado
- Handful of fresh Mint
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Slice tofu in rectangular pieces, 1 centimeters in thickness and pan fry in olive oil on a high heat until golden on both sides. Once cooked, slice into strips
- Cook vermicelli noodles as per packet instructions. They are usually cooked by letting them stand in a bowl with boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain when soft
- Prepare all the remaining fillings by slicing the vegetables into thin strips. You can use a knife or mandolin to achieve a better consistency
- Prepare a work station where you will be making your rolls, like a kitchen benchtop or chopping board, having all your fillings close by.Place down a clean damp kitchen tea towel which will be used to roll the rice paper rolls on. Fill a tray with cold water which is large enough to dip the rice paper sheets into.
- Dip a rice paper sheet into the water for a few seconds until all sides have been dampened and place on the kitchen towel.Place the fillings on the ⅓ section of the sheet closet to you. Don't overfill as they can rip easily and keep the sides clear
- Start to roll by lifting the bottom wrapper closet to you and pulling it over the fillings, giving it a little tuck so its nice and compact. Then fold the two sides in to close the ends off and continue rolling lengthways until the endRepeat the process to make the remaining rolls
- You can refrigerate any leftovers rolls to enjoy the next day. They can keep for a few days in the fridge however it's best to consume fresh as the rice paper sheets become a little chewy
- If you have leftover fillings, you can use them to make fresh rolls the next day which is what I like to do as rolling the summer rolls only takes a few mins to make which makes them great for meal prep