This Vegan Baked Oats feels like having a cake for breakfast. It's so easy to make and cooked in only 2 minutes in the microwave.
Baked Oats are still trending and the most common request I've had was for an egg-free version. So here are my Vegan Baked Oats which are so easy to make and cooked in only 2 minutes!
It feels like you're eating a cake however it's super healthy! The best part is that it's cooked in the microwave making it a fast breakfast option, even on busy days.
I love having oats for breakfast and another favourite option is this Tiramisu Overnight Oats. Whilst these are typically a breakfast dishes, they're ones you can have as a healthy afternoon snack or dessert which is when I've been enjoying myself recently.
In this recipe, I’ve added dark chocolate in the middle which melts once cooked and gives it the perfect flavour 🙂
Table of Contents
Ingredients to Make Vegan Baked Oats
- Rolled Oats are the base of the dish which are blended to make oat flour. You can use quick oats or oat flour however steel-cut oats will have a much coarser texture so I wouldn’t recommend using them.
- Ripe Banana is added for it’s sweetness and soft texture, you can also substitute with apple sauce
- Almond milk is always my preferred milk of choice but you can also use your preferred milk
- Maple syrup is used as a sweetener, you can also use honey or agave
- Baking powder is used to help the oats fluff up into a cake-like texture
- Dark chocolate, I love the taste of bitter dark chocolate so I prefer using 85% cacao however you can also use your favourite chocolate
- Cacao nibs are small pieces of crushed cacao beans that give a nice crunch and bitter chocolatey taste. Chocolate chips can also be used
- Pinch of salt added for some flavour
Tips and Tricks
- I always find it’s best to blend oats into oat flour to start with. This achieves a much smoother batter quicker and will assist with a softer texture once cooked
- When picking your banana, the riper the banana the better as it will provide a naturally sweeter taste
- Don’t over blend the mixture as you want the batter to remain airy
- Make sure to grease your ramekin well before adding the mixture. I prefer brushing on melted coconut oil but you can also use oil spray
- Make sure your ramekin isn't filled to the very top and that the mixture has room to rise. As it’s being cooked in the microwave at a fast pace, it will rise quite high to start and then deflate slightly
- I’ve found It’s best to break the dark chocolate square into a few pieces so that it doesn’t fall to the bottom once cooked
More Breakfast Recipes
- Crispy Feta Fried Eggs
- Zucchini Corn Fritters
- Bangin Breakfast Burger
- Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
- Panettone French Toast
- Persian Omelette
- Healthy Banana Bread
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Vegan Baked Oats photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Vegan Baked Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ banana
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 square dark chocolate - 10g
- 1 tablespoon Cacao nibs
- Melted coconut oil or cooking oil spray
- Blend the oats in a high-speed blender to create oat flour
- Add the milk, banana, maple syrup, baking powder and salt into the blender and blend for 10-20 seconds until well combined. It should be a thick runny cake batter-like consistency
- Grease a small ramekin by brushing melted coconut oil or cooking spray, making sure to coat the bottom and all the sides
- Pour the batter into the ramekin and gently tap it on the kitchen benchtop to flatten the top
- Break the dark chocolate square into 4 pieces and place them into the centre of the ramekin. With your fingers, press them down slightly into the mixture so they are submerged
- Sprinkle the cacao nibs on the top and place in the microwave to cook for 2 minutes. (You can also bake in the oven at 180C/360F for 20 mins)
- Remove and check if it's cooked all the way through by sticking a toothpick into the centre. It should come out mostly clean
- Let it cool for a few minutes then garnish by adding a drizzle of maple syrup, then dig in!