This Bruschetta recipe is made with tomato and basil. It's the perfect appetizer or snack and is so easy to make!
Bruschetta has to be one of my all-time favourite dishes! The classic bruschetta recipe is made with tomato and basil, it's so simple and easy yet so delicious!
It's perfect to serve as an appetizer, snack, or even on a grazing board. It's simply a form of garlic bread with tomatoes and basil added on top.
You only need 5 ingredients and 10 minutes!
There are so many different versions and bruschetta toppings you can add, such as spreading Pesto, Bruschetta with Mozzarella and it's also popular to drizzle balsamic vinegar.
What is Bruschetta
Bruschetta is a classic Italian antipasto food that consists of beautifully toasted bread rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil. There are many different variations of toppings to add to Bruschetta bread such as fresh tomatoes and basil, roasted vegetables, cheese, and even cured meats.
Ingredients to make Bruschetta
- Bread, I like to use sourdough bread but you can also use ciabatta or even a baguette-style
- Tomatoes, always ensure you use ripe tomatoes that aren’t too firm as you want a nice rich flavour. My favourite are roma tomatoes or vine tomatoes
- Basil, always use fresh basil for that gorgeous aroma
- Garlic is key to enhance the flavour with each bite as it’s grazed on top of the bread
- Olive Oil, I always use extra virgin olive oil for a more pure taste which is used to marinate the tomatoes and basil
Alternative Bruschetta Toppings
- Parmigianno Regianno cheese
- Basil Pesto
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- Roasted vegetables
- Cured meats
- Balsamic vinegar
- Red onion or Pickled onions
Tips Bruschetta Recipe
- If your tomatoes release a lot of juice when they’re diced, disregard the excess or use it for a different dish. You don’t want to have too much juice as it can make the mixture watery
- Make sure to allow the tomato mixture to marinate for at least 10 minutes. This allows the flavours to come together
- Ensure you toast the bread for longer than usual so it’s super crunchy. This way it prevents it from becoming too soggy once the mixture is added
- It’s best to serve immediately so the bread still has a crunch and tastes fresh
More Appetizer Recipes
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Bruschetta photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
- 4 sourdough bread slices (or bread of choice)
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra basil leaves
- Dice tomatoes into small cubes and place into a bowl, disregarding any excess juice that’s left on your chopping board
- Tear in the basil leaves into small pieces and add to the chopped tomatoes
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle over the olive oil. Mix well and leave to marinate for 10 minutes
- Toast the bread in a toaster, grill or oven, making sure it’s extra crunchy
- Once toasted, slice garlic cloves into half and rub the inside of the garlic cloves onto the slices of bread
- Add spoons of the tomato mixture to each slice. Add extra basil leaves on the top as garnish and serve to enjoy immediately 🙂