This Avocado Hummus dip is creamy, healthy and makes for the perfect snack to serve with vegetable sticks, pita chips or a sandwich.
If you’re like me and have an obsession with avocados and hummus then you must try my Avocado Hummus!
It’s the perfect snack to serve with veggie sticks or pita chips, as a spread in a sandwich or wrap, or even on the side of any meal.
It’s so creamy and smooth and the perfect combination of two of my favourite foods in one!
It can be whipped up in less than 10 minutes and tastes so much better than any store-bought dip.
It’s also vegan and gluten free too so everyone can enjoy this tasty healthy snack.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Hummus and Avocado dip
- Avocado is added to put a spin on the classic Hummus. Make sure to use a ripe avocado for its creamy texture
- Chickpeas, are the main star in making Hummus. You can use canned or dried chickpeas that have been soaked and cooked
- Tahini one of the key ingredients and important for the overall texture and flavour profile of the hummus. Make sure to check the label to ensure that sesame is the only ingredient
- Lemon to provide some freshness and acidity to the dish. you can also use lime juice
- Garlic cloves, I like to add 2 cloves however if you are a garlic lover, feel free to add more
- Extra virgin olive oil adds to the silkiness and a good drizzle is needed for garnish.
How to Peel Chickpeas Quickly
To make your hummus extra creamy, the key is to peel your chickpeas. I have to admit I don’t do this every single time I make it, however, when I do have a little extra time and add this step, it turns out soooo much smoother and creamier.
Here I've shared my technique on my classic hummus recipe to speed up this process.
How to Make this Avocado Hummus recipe
Time needed: 10 minutes
- Add ingredients to food processor/blender
Add in cooked chickpeas, garlic, tahini, extra virgin olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and the peeled and pitted avocado.
Until a purée is formed. If the mixture is too thick, add the ice cubes and a splash of ice-cold water and blend again. This will help it get nice and smooth.
- Serve and garnish
Serve in a bowl and with a spoon create a well or dipped design on the top. Sprinkle over some red chili flakes and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve alongside crispy pita chips and some chopped veggie sticks and enjoy!
Tips for easy Avocado Hummus
- Make sure to use a ripe avocado as this will help create a super creamy texture
- When blending, be sure to add a couple of ice cubes, I’ve found that this helps in making the hummus more creamy. Start with 2 and add more if needed as its always easier to add something in, than if you’ve added too much
- Adding a splash of cold ice water helps with the blending process
- If you are using canned chickpeas, use the liquid in the can instead of water as it gives extra flavour. Also if they are on the harder side with a bite to them, I’d still recommend cooking them first with baking soda to soften and so skins will easily peel off
Surprisingly it keeps quite well and doesn't change colour as fast as guacamole unless it's left out for too long. As there is lemon juice and olive oil in the mixture, this helps sustain its colour but it won't remain as bright green. If does need to be kept in the fridge in an air tight container.
This recipe for Avocado Hummus is made with whole foods with nutrients and healthy fats. The chickpeas are high in protein with thw avocado, tahini, and olive oil including healthy fats.
If kept in an air-tight container in the fridge, it can last 4-5 days.
More Chickpea Recipes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ large lemon
- 2 ice cubes
- Splash of ice cold water
- Sea salt to taste
- Red chili flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Add cooked chickpeas, garlic, tahini, extra virgin olive oil, salt, lemon juice and the peeled and pitted avocado to a food processor / blender.
- Blend until a purée is formed. If the mixture is too thick, add the ice cubes and a splash of ice-cold water and blend again. This will help it get nice and smooth.
- Serve in a bowl and with a spoon create a well or dipped design on the top. Garnish with red chili flakes and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve with some veggie sticks or pita chips and enjoy this tasty avocado hummus dip!