I love a giant salad filled with goodies for lunch or dinner, especially on hot days and this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad ticks all the boxes!
It’s colourful, light and fresh along with being full of protein & nutrients from all the different vegetables.
The best part is that it's vegan, only takes 5 minutes to make, and is a great meal prep idea for the week too.
Ingredients to Make Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa is one of the main ingredients in this salad. I always like to use tri-colour quinoa for its different colours
- Baby spinach is great to use as it doesn't need to be chopped, if using regular spinach it can also be chopped into smaller pieces
- Chickpeas, you can use cooked or canned chickpeas depending on your preference. If I have planned ahead, I like to use dried chickpeas that I have soaked overnight and cooked myself. That way I don’t overcook them so they have a little crunch however canned chickpeas work great too, especially if you are needing a faster option
- Cucumbers, I recommend and always use Persian or Lebanese cucumbers as they are crisper and have a nice sweet flavour
- Cherry Tomatoes, add a beautiful sweetness and pop of flavour when they burst in your mouth. It’s important to use tomatoes that are ripe however are still firm. I personally prefer the cherry roma tomatoes
- Red onion is a perfect addition for its sweetness and taste. You don’t need to add too much as it can overpower the salad
- Kalamata Olives are nice and salty and give a pop of flavour to this salad
- If making this salad as part of meal prep or planning on taking it to work the next day, it’s best not to add the dressing until serving as the spinach will wilt straight away and become soggy
- Try and cut all the vegetables into similar sized pieces, this way it's easier to eat and you will be able to have a piece of all the ingredients in each bite
- If cooking the quinoa at the same time, ensure it’s fully cooled before adding it to the salad so that the salad will still remain crisp and fresh
Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein, and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids. It's also high in fiber, vitamins, and various beneficial antioxidants. Source
It will keep nice and fresh for 3-4 days in the fridge if it hasn’t been dressed.
This Mediterranean Quinoa Salad is quite healthy as it’s made from whole-foods and filled with protein & nutrients from a range of vegetables
More Salad Recipes
- Healthy Tuna Salad
- Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Shirazi Salad
- Rocket Pear and Parmesan Salad
- Strawberry Spring Salad
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- 80 g baby spinach
- 2 Lebanese or Persian cucumbers
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- ¼ red onion
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas
- ¾ cup cooked tricolour quinoa
- 60 g kalamata olives
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon squeezed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and slice the cucumber and cut cherry tomatoes into halves then add to a large bowl
- Slice the red onion into thin strips, also cut the olives into halves and add to the same bowl
- Add the spinach, cooked quinoa and chickpeas to the bowl and mix to combine
- Add all dressing ingredients to the bowl and mix until well combined (Note, if making this salad for meal prep, refer to my important tips above).Serve and enjoy this bowl of goodness.