Now, this is what you call a Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito!!
The perfect weekend breakfast that’s packed full of goodies to help kickstart your day!
It’s filled with crispy potatoes, scrambled eggs, avocado, sundried tomatoes, and a sprinkle of cheese.
I usually have Overnight Oats every morning for breakfast, but on weekends I love spicing it up with different flavours! This Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito has become a new favourite in my house.
I’ve also made an avocado crema as a dip, which is fresh and creamy making every bite even better!
You can easily make this a vegan breakfast burrito by making tofu scrambled eggs or even black beans instead too.
Ingredients to make Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- Large flour tortilla or wrap - I’ve used a whole grain wrap. Make sure it’s a large size so it’s easier to fill and roll up. You can also use a gluten free tortilla or whole wheat tortillas
- Tater tots / potato bites are like mini hashbrowns. They bring that perfect crunch in every bite. You can also use a hashbrown if you can't find tater tots.
- Eggs, I like folding the eggs when scrambling to make them nice and fluffy. You can also make a vegan version by making tofu scrambled eggs
- Avocado gives a nice creaminess to the burrito
- Sundried tomatoes add saltiness and a smokey flavour
- Cheddar cheese because you simply can’t have a burrito without cheese right??
- Hot sauce or your favourite sauce. I’ve used sriracha but you can also add anything you like such as tomato sauce, ketchup, salsa, or barbecue sauce
How to make Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito
Time needed: 15 minutes.
- Warm up tortilla
Heat the tortilla or wrap in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up
- Layer your fillings
Place ingredients in the center, neatly in a row on top of each other. Making sure to leave room on the sides to be folded in
- Time to roll
First, fold the two sides over the filling, then fold the bottom half up and over the filling, tucking it in and firmly holding it together. Then continue rolling all the way up so it’s a tight and compact burrito
Heat the burrito in a fry pan for a few minutes turning it over so all the sides are toasted.
Slice in half, dip into your favourite crema or sauce and enjoy!
How to make Avocado Crema
Avocado Crema is a tangy and creamy dip, that takes minutes to make.
To make the crema, add avocado, greek yoghurt, cilantro, lime, seasoning and a few tablespoons of water to a blender and blitz together (full measurements included in the recipe below).
Start with 2-3 tablespoons of water and add slowly to achieve your preferred consistency.
Tips for Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- Cook your tater tots / potato bites until they’re extra crispy. This way, they will stay crispy even once wrapped with all the other ingredients
- When scrambling the eggs, I like folding them to keep them fluffy rather than a fast scramble which can dry them out
- Layer the ingredients neatly in a row when filling the burrito. This way, it’s easier to roll. It will also stop the ingredients becoming all messy and will look nice and layered when cut in half
- Always add the cheese on at the end as it works as a glue to seal the burrito closed
- When making the avocado crema, makes sure to use a soft ripe avocado. If the avocado isn’t ripe, it won’t be creamy or have the right taste
- Also add the water slowly when making the crema so to achieve your preferred consistency. The more water that is added, the thinner and runnier it will be
This recipe can easily be made vegan. The scrambled eggs can be substituted with a tofu scramble and the cheese to be either omitted or substituted with vegan cheddar cheese
Typically breakfast burritos are filled with either meat, bacon, sausage, sour cream, fried hash browns and so on. This recipe is a healthier version as it's packed with protein and ingredients such as eggs, air fried potatoes and a healthy avocado crema for dipping
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito
- 1 large flour tortilla or wrap (I’ve used a whole grain wrap)
- 8 tater tots / potato bites
- 2 small eggs (or one large egg)
- ¼ avocado
- 3 pieces sundried tomatoes
- Sprinkle of cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce (or your favourite sauce)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ soft avocado
- 1 heaped tbsp greek yoghurt
- ½ lime squeezed
- 2-3 tablespoon water
- Handful coriander / cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Make the avocado crema by adding all the ingredients to a blender and blitzing together. Start with 2-3 tablespoon of water and add slowly to achieve your preferred consistency
- Cook the tater tots / potato bites in an air fryer or oven until they’re super crispy. Approx 10 minutes at 180°C/350°F in the air fryer
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then pour into a fry pan with olive oil. Over low heat, fold the eggs slowly to keep them fluffy rather than a fast scramble
- Season with salt and pepper and take off the heat when they’re almost cooked, as they continue cooking from the residual heat
- Dice sundried tomatoes into small cubes and slice the avocado
- Heat tortilla or wrap in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up
- Layer all the ingredients in the centre, neatly in a row on top of eachother. Making sure to leave room on the sides to be folded inThe order I’ve laid mine starts with the tater tots, avocado, sundried tomatoes, eggs, sauce and cheese
- To fold the burrito, first fold the two sides over the filling, then fold the bottom half up and over the filling, tucking it in and firmly holding it together. Then continue rolling all the way up so it’s a tight and compact burrito
- Heat the burrito in a frying pan over medium heat for a few minutes turning it over so all the sides are toastedSlice in half, dip into the avocado crema and enjoy your Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito!
- The avocado crema will provide enough for multiple servings