If you’re looking for a new sandwich idea, you have to try this Vegan Sandwich!
I’m not kidding when I say it’s one of the best sandwiches I’ve made in so long hehe
It’s colourful, fresh and packed with different veggies and nutrients along with hummus for your protein source too!
You can also meal prep the ingredients so that all you have to do on the day is assemble the sandwich & you’re good to go!
Trust me when I say, you don’t need to be vegan to love this easy Vegan Sandwich!
Ingredients to make Vegan Sandwich Recipe
- Whole grain sourdough bread is my favourite type of bread to use for a sandwich. Choosing whole grain is also much higher in protein
- Hummus is used for the bottom spread and is the main protein source. I make my own homemade hummus which only takes 5 minutes and great for meal prep
- Cucumber, I prefer using Persian or Lebanese cucumbers as they are less watery and nice and crisp
- Tomato is added for freshness. I love using Roma or grape vine tomatoes
- Alfalfa sprouts are added for some crunch, I love them in sandwiches
- Beetroot, I prefer using fresh beetroot and grating it myself so that they are in thin strands. You can meal prep this for a few days to make it faster to make the sandwich on that day
- Lettuce, I love using butter lettuce which is also known as oakleaf lettuce
- Avocado is used for the spread on the second piece of bread. It’s so nice and creamy and replaces the need to add a sauce, butter or mayonnaise. You can use vegan mayo if you prefer
How to Meal Prep Ingredients
I love to meal prep which makes lunch time so much easier especially on busy days. Here are some ways you can meal prep this vegan sandwich so all you have to do is toast the bread, assemble and dig in!
- Make hummus in advance. My fridge always has a container of hummus which is the best snack and spread
- Wash lettuce then dry and place in a container or zip log back with paper towels to absorb any moisture
- Slice tomatoes and cucumber and place in a sealed container. If you keep the slices stuck together in place, this will prevent them from drying out
- Smashed avocado can be made in advance. To help reduce the browning, season with lemon juice and olive oil and keep the pit in the container. It will still lose some colour so if this bothers you, just make it on the day as it doesn’t take much time at all
How to make Vegan Sandwich
Time needed: 10 minutes.
- Prepare ingredients
Grate beetroot using a box grater. Smash the avocado with a fork and season. Slice the tomato and cucumber into thin slices
If making your own hummus, prepare this first
Toast your bread, I'm using sourdough
Spread hummus to one piece on bread. Then layer with cucumber, tomato slices and season
Follow with the alfalfa sprouts, grated beetroot, and top with a lettuce leaf
Spread the smashed avocado to the other piece of bread then close the sandwich up and slice in half. Enjoy!
Tips to make this Healthy Sandwich
- If making your own hummus, it’s best to prepare this first. You can then keep the rest for meal prep for the week
- It’s best to prepare all of the veggies next by slicing the cucumber and tomato along with grating the beetroot. This way your bread will stay nice and crunchy as all you need to do it assemble it once toasted
- When grating the beetroot, make sure to use gloves or hold it with a paper towel as beetroot can stain your fingers and nails
- Always make sure to season the smashed avocado and tomatoes with salt and pepper. This will bring so much more flavour and ensures your vegan sandwich won’t be bland
More Vegan Recipes
- Makaroni (Persian Spaghetti)
- Vegatable Noodle Soup
- Homemade Falafel
- Rice Paper Dumplings
- Pasta e Fagioli
- 2 slices whole grain sourdough bread
- 2-3 tablespoon hummus
- ⅓ cucumber
- 2 slices tomato
- Handful alfalfa sprouts
- ¼ beetroot
- 1 butter lettuce leaf
- ¼ avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If making your own hummus, prepare this first
- Grate the beetroot using a box grater, my tip is to wear gloves
- Smash the avocado with a fork and season. Slice the tomato and cucumber into thin slices
- Toast the sourdough and spread the hummus to one pieceThen layer with cucumber, tomato slices and season. Follow with the alfalfa sprouts, grated beetroot, and top with the lettuce leaf
- Spread the smashed avocado to the other piece of bread. Close the sandwich up and slice in half.Enjoy your fresh and colourful Vegan Sandwich!