This Pumpkin Feta Pasta recipe celebrates classic flavours and is super creamy. Perfect dinner for the family which is easy to make.
One of my favourite combinations has always been pumpkin and feta so I had to turn it into a pasta with this baked Pumpkin Feta Pasta!
The sweetness of the pumpkin, the saltiness of the feta along with spinach and walnuts are a perfect match.
Another delicious pasta to try is my Creamy Pumpkin Pasta which is the perfect Fall dish.
The best part, it's easy to make in 25 minutes being the perfect weeknight main dish for the family.
This recipe is definitely a crowd-pleaser just like the viral Baked Feta Pasta which took the world by storm earlier this year and is still one of my go-to pasta dishes.
If you're looking for some popular alternatives, check out my Baked Feta Pasta with Mushrooms and Baked Goats Cheese Pasta.
Ingredients to make Pumpkin Feta Pasta
- Pumpkin, I'm choosing to use butternut pumpkin squash for its sweetness especially when they are in season
- Feta Cheese is the star of this dish! I prefer to use Persian or Bulgarian feta as I find it more creamy and less salty than Greek feta.
- Garlic, I love using purple garlic as I find them juicier and milder in flavour
- Extra virgin olive oil is my favourite oil to use, especially in this recipe. It plays a huge part in the sauce and pairs well with all the flavours
- Pasta, I’ve used large shells in this recipe. I love that their shape holds in some of the sauce and veggies and it's also similar in size to all the ingredients
- Thyme is my preferred herb as I find it works great with pumpkin and feta
- Spinach is a great veggie to add as it pairs well and brings a pop of green with added nutrients
- Walnuts, I love adding at the end for a little crunch and nuttiness
- Chilli flakes at the end are optional but they add a nice kick
Tips to make this Creamy Pumpkin Feta Pasta
- Ensure to place the block of feta whole in the middle of the oven tray. If it’s broken up, it will burn too quickly and won’t bring out the same creamy sauce.
- Don't cut the pumpkin pieces too small as they can become overcooked and mushy which will make them lose their shape and texture.
- Garlic cloves are best to be left whole in their skins. Once roasted, they bring out the most beautiful subtle flavour and creaminess. If they are peeled or cut, they can burn in the oven and won’t be creamy.
- The spinach doesn't need to be cooked as once it's added to the dish with the hot pasta, the heat from the pasta and pasta water will wilt the spinach.
- Ensure you add the pasta fairly quickly while the feta is still warm. This will ensure the creaminess will then come together with the pasta. The feta will start to harden once it cools.
- Pasta water is very important as it helps create a silky sauce. Without it, it will be a little dry and won't have the same creaminess so make sure to keep some aside when cooking your pasta.
The classic flavours of pumpkin spinach feta and walnuts just level up this pasta and will no doubt become a regular in your house.
More Pumpkin Recipes
More Pasta Recipes
- Lemon Garlic Pasta (Pasta Al Limone)
- Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms
- Vegan Bolognese
- Mushroom Carbonara
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Pumpkin Feta Pasta photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Pumpkin Feta Pasta
- 360 g pasta shells
- 1 kg butternut squash pumpkin
- 8 garlic cloves
- 180 g feta cheese (I’ve used Bulgarian feta)
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach
- 1 handful walnuts
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F
- Peel and chop butternut squash pumpkin into 2cm cubes and add to an oven safe dish.
- Add garlic cloves in their skins, thyme leaves and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix all together so oil is covering all the ingredients.
- Add the block of feta in the middle of the dish and place all the pumpkin mixture around it evenly.
- Season the feta with thyme leaves and a drizzle of extra olive oil.
- Put in the oven for 25 minutes until pumpkin is cooked and feta has softened
- When the pumpkin has 10 minutes left on the cooking time, start to cook the pasta in heavily salted water. As always, don’t forget to save some pasta water on the side
- Remove oven dish and gently peel garlic cloves from their skin. Using a fork, mash the garlic cloves in the same oven tray
- Break up the feta cheese and stir into the mixture.
- Add spinach then top with the cooked pasta with a good splash of pasta water
- Mix together to create a beautiful creamy sauce. If it’s too thick or dry, add more pasta water
- Top with chilli flakes and crumbled walnuts right before serving so that they stay nice and crunchy 🙂
This was delicious! I'm trying to feed the family a vegetarian meal once a week and this was a hit with all of them which is rare. Will definitely be making again. I made it as exactly as the recipe stated and wouldn't change anything.
Aww so happy to hear this Debbie! What a beautiful compliment xxx
Was so delicious and super easy to make! I used danish feta which was super tasty too definitely will make again!
Yay so happy to hear Poppy! Danish feta would have been so nice and creamy 🙂
This was DELICIOUS! SO easy and absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing!
So glad you loved it dear 🙂 xx
Thank you so much for this recipe, Ayeh. It was delicious! A huge hit with the whole fam. As an alternative to walnuts I roasted the pumpkin seeds (on a different tray) with a sprinkle of salt for 5 mins while the pumpkin was cooking. Yum!
Yum sounds amazing dear, love that idea too!!
Oh yum this sounds great! So glad you loved it dear x
This dish is so simple, creamy, and absolutely delicious!!! Definitely a keeper!
So happy to hear you love this too Terri xxx
So wait, butternut squash, or pumpkin? Or both?
You can use either a regular pumpkin or butternut squash 🙂
I made this tonight and my boyfriend and I loved it! Thanks for the recipe!
So happy to hear you both loved it 🙂
Love this recipe! I added Italian sausage meatballs & used bowtie pasta. Creamy, flavorful & delicious 🙂
Oh yay lovely yo hear!
Is this ok made a day ahead??