This Baked Feta Pasta with Mushrooms recipe is simple to make and creates the perfect sauce for a sweet, salty creamy pasta.
Since the Baked Feta Pasta has been so popular and has gone viral all over social media, I knew I had to make another variation of this magical dish with my Baked Feta Pasta with Mushrooms.
It has the perfect flavor combination with a mix of mushrooms, onion, garlic, spinach & topped with pine nuts for a little crunch. It's just so creamy & full of veggies!
This recipe is so easy to make and is the perfect dish to serve weeknights for the family or even to serve for friends and guests over the weekend. Trust me it will be a hit no matter what the occasion!
Table of Contents
Ingredients to Make Baked Feta Pasta with Mushrooms
- Feta Cheese is the star of this dish! I prefer to use Persian or Bulgarian feta as I find it more creamy and less salty than Greek feta, but you can use your preferred feta.
- Mushrooms are the foundation of this dish. I recommend using a mix of mushrooms for different levels of flavour and texture. I’ve used shiitake and brown mushrooms
- Red onion brings added sweetness and a pop of colour
- Garlic, I love using purple garlic as I find them juicier and milder in flavour
- Extra virgin olive oil is my favourite oil to use, especially in this recipe. It plays a huge part in the sauce and pairs well with all the flavours
- Pasta, I’ve used Casarecce in my recipe. I love their twist shape which holds in the sauce
- Herbs, I’ve added a mixture of fresh thyme leaves along with dried oregano. They both work well together and marry all the flavours
- Spinach is a great veggie to add as it pairs well with feta & mushrooms. It also brings a pop of green with added nutrients
- Pine nuts, I love adding toasted pine nuts at the end for a little crunch and nuttiness. You can also substitute with walnuts or almonds
Tips and Tricks
- Ensure to place the block of feta whole in the middle of the oven tray. If it’s broken up, it will burn too quickly and won’t bring out the same creamy sauce
- Don’t cut mushrooms up too small or thin as they will shrink when cooked. You want to keep some texture so cut them in small chunks
- Garlic cloves are best to be left whole in their skins. Once roasted, they bring out the most beautiful subtle flavour and creaminess. If they are peeled or cut, they can burn in the oven and won’t be creamy
- Stick to using a short pasta shape, ideally with grooves as it would work the best holding in the sauce and ingredients. I’ve used casarecce but you can also use fusilli, penne, or even conchiglie which are small shells
- Don’t cook the spinach, always add it to the dish right before the pasta is added. The heat from the pasta and pasta water will wilt the spinach and it will be perfect to eat
- Mix in the pasta fairly quickly as soon as the dish is out of the oven while the feta is still warm. This will ensure the creaminess will then come together with the pasta, as once the cheese cools down, the cheese will start to harden.
- If the sauce has thickened up too much or isn’t as creamy, not to stress, a good splash of pasta water will save the day and bring the sauciness back
More Pasta Recipes
- Vegan Bolognese
- Broccoli Pasta
- Lemon Garlic Pasta (Pasta Al Limone)
- Burrata Pasta
- Pappardelle Pasta with Mushrooms
- Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca
- Pumpkin Feta Pasta
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Baked Feta Pasta with Mushrooms photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Baked Feta Pasta with Mushrooms
- 400 g short pasta (I've used casarecce)
- 500 g mixed mushrooms (I’ve used shiitake and brown mushrooms)
- 1 red onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 160 g block of feta cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (with some extra)
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 100 g baby spinach
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 handful toasted pine nuts
- Squeeze of lemon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F
- Slice mushrooms and onion and place into an oven dish
- Add garlic cloves whole in their skin along with the fresh thyme leaves
- Drizzle over the olive oil and give a quick mix and massage with your hands so everything is nicely coated
- Add the block of feta in the middle of the dish and place all the mushroom mixture around it evenly
- Season the feta with oregano and a drizzle of olive oil
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until mushrooms are nicely golden and feta has softened
- When mushrooms have 10 minutes left on the cooking time, start to cook the pasta in heavily salted water. As always, don’t forget to save some pasta water on the side
- Remove oven dish and gently peel garlic cloves from their skin. Using a fork, mash the garlic cloves in the same oven tray
- Give it all a mix together breaking up the feta cheese with a spoon
- First add the spinach then top with the cooked pasta with a good splash of pasta water. Mix together quickly to create a beautiful creamy sauce. If it’s too thick, add more pasta water
- Add pine nuts right before serving so they keep their crunch and serve your creamy sauce Baked Feta Mushroom Pasta :). If you find it too salty add a good squeeze of lemon to balance it out