My Crispy Spiced Potatoes recipe is super crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, making it the perfect side dish and a crowd favourite.
If I had to pick one favourite vegetable its a no brainer for me, its Potatoes! What makes potatoes even yummier is having them coated in a spice mix, smashed and double-cooked so they are super crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
These Crispy Spiced Potatoes are perfect to serve as a side dish alongside your favourite mains for Christmas lunch, a BBQ, or even a dinner party.
They only need a handful of spices that make them super delicious with a gorgeous orange colour, but they can be made spicy or not spicy depending on your preference.
Table of Contents
Ingredients to make Crispy Spiced Potatoes
- Potatoes, I suggest using smaller white potatoes and not peeling them
- Smoked Paprika, I love using paprika in this dish as it gives a beautiful sweet smoky flavour along with a bright orange colour once cooked
- Cumin gives a nice earthy touch to the spice mix
- Garlic, I prefer using fresh garlic cloves that have been minced or grated. You can also use garlic powder if you prefer
- Extra virgin olive oil is always my oil of choice for most dishes, especially when roasting dishes in the oven. It can also be substituted with your oil of preference such as avocado oil or grapeseed oil
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to salt the cooking water when boiling the potatoes. This allows the flavour to be absorbed by the potatoes on the inside
- It’s best to use smaller potatoes rather than larger potatoes as they will cook quicker and will be easier to smash and get more crispy
- Make sure to use enough oil as the oil will help the potatoes crisp up. Without sufficient oil, the potatoes will still be roasted and taste great however they won’t be as crispy
- The timing can vary depending on your oven so just keep an eye on the potatoes at 45 minutes. If you are using a gas oven or a strong oven, they will crisp up much quicker
More Side Recipes
- Honey Glazed Halloumi
- Shirazi Salad
- No Knead Focaccia
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Fried Halloumi Bites
More Potato Recipes
- Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- Kotlet (Persian Patties)
- Sweet Potato Toast
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Crispy Spiced Potatoes photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Crispy Spiced Potatoes
- 1.5 kgs small white potatoes
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves grated or minced
- 5-6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus more to top up
- Sea salt to taste
- Chili flakes or powder (optional)
- Wash potatoes and boil in salted water until they are cooked
- In the meantime, add spice mix to a small bowl
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain into a large bowl
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F
- Pour spice mix on the potatoes and toss around so they are all nicely coated
- Place potatoes on a greased oven tray, making sure there is space between them
- Using a flat glass or small bowl, press down on each potato so that they flatten down. Don’t place too much force to mash them, however enough pressure to smash them down so they expand
- Using a cooking brush, brush any leftover spice marinade into all the corners. If the potatoes seem dry, brush on some more olive oil so they are nicely coated
- Place into the oven and cook for approx 45-60 minutes (depending on oven strength). You want a nice golden colour with a crisp outer layer
- Serve on the side of your favourite meal and enjoy!