These Crispy Roasted Potatoes make the perfect side dish. They’re topped with an infused garlic rosemary olive oil that tastes heavenly.
These Crispy Roasted Potatoes are one of my favourite ways to eat potatoes! They’re so crispy on the outside and soft in the middle making the perfect side dish for any meal or roast dinner.
They’re topped with an infused garlic rosemary olive oil which smells and tastes heavenly! I could literally eat the whole dish on my own hehe.
They're super crispy and will be the best roast potatoes you'll ever make!
Ingredients to make Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Potatoes are the star of the dish ofcourse! Here I’ve used white potatoes but you can use maris piper, russet, yukon gold potatoes or sebago which are great for roast potatoes
- Olive oil is my preferred oil to use for its scent and flavour. You can use your oil of choice
- Garlic is used to infuse the additional oil added mid way roast
- Rosemary is used to infuse the oil along with being used as a brush to add the infused oil. The flavour pairs so well with roasted potatoes
- Baking soda is added when par boiling the potatoes. It helps release the starch to the water which then attaches to the surface of the potatoes allowing them to become extra crispy
How to make Crispy Roasted Potatoes
Time needed: 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Wash and cut potatoes
Wash and cut potatoes into similar size chunks (around 1 inch)
- Preheat oven and parboil potatoes
Preheat oven to 230°C/450°F and parboil potatoes with sea salt and baking soda added to the water
- Shake potatoes
When potatoes are fork tender, drain through a colander and give it a shake to roughen the edges
Add some olive oil to an oven dish. Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Give it a shake, so the potatoes are coated with the oil and seasoning, then put into the oven
- Make garlic oil
Grate garlic cloves in a small ramekin. Add olive oil and mix together with a rosemary sprig. Leave the rosemary tip in the ramekin to infuse the oil
- Remove from oven
After 30-40 minutes, remove potatoes from the oven and shake around. Using the rosemary sprig, brush on the garlic oil over the potatoes.
Tear over the rosemary leaves and place them back in the oven for 20 -30 minutes (depending on oven strength ) until they are nice and crispy
Tips for Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Adding the baking soda helps the outside of the potatoes crisp up as it releases their starch which then attaches to the surface of the potatoes
- When draining the potatoes through the colander, shaking them will allow the edges to roughen up. This brings extra crispiness to the edges once baked. They may look a little messy at first, but the more rough and uneven the sides are, the more crispy they will be
- Make sure to allow the garlic and rosemary to infuse the olive oil while the potatoes are roasting. The longer they are left, the stronger the flavour will be
- Don’t add the rosemary leaves till the final roasting time. The leaves can burn very quickly and will be black if they are roasted for too long
- Oven timings will differ depending on oven types and strengths. I’ve included ranges however you can adjust by increasing or decreasing so you get the right consistency and crispy exterior
More Side Recipes
More Potato Recipes
- Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- Kotlet (Persian Patties)
- Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- Sweet Potato Toast
- Crispy Spiced Potatoes
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Crispy Roasted Potatoes photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- 1 kg medium potatoes
- 4-5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Maldon or flakey sea salt
- Wash and cut your potatoes into similar size chunks (around 1 inch). You can peel them, however I prefer to leave the skins on
- Preheat oven to 230°C/450°F
- Boil a pot of water on the stove, season with sea salt. Add the potatoes and baking soda and parboil
- After about 8-10 minutes, when fork tender but not fully cooked, drain the potatoes through a colander. Shake the potatoes to roughen the edges with the colander
- Add 2-3 tablespoon of olive oil to an oven dish. Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Give it a shake, so the potatoes are coated with the oil and seasoning, then put into the oven
- In the meantime, grate the garlic cloves in a small ramekin. Add 2 tablespoon of olive oil, and mix together with a rosemary sprig. Leave the rosemary tip in the ramekin to infuse the oil
- After 30-40 minutes, remove potatoes from the oven and shake around. Using the rosemary sprig, brush on the garlic oil over the potatoes.
- Tear over the rosemary leaves and place them back in the oven for 20 -30 minutes (depending on oven strength ) until they are nice and crispyRemove from oven , top with a sprinkle of flakey sea salt and enjoy alongside your favourite dish!