You’re going to be making this Caesar Salad Dressing without Anchovies on repeat! It's a simple twist on the classic dressing which is just as delicious, made healthier and also vegetarian so everyone can enjoy it!
If you’re like me and love a traditional caesar salad but don't like the anchovies, then this dressing is for you! It’s lusciously creamy with the perfect tang and also perfect if you are vegetarian. It also does not include any raw eggs like the original recipe.
You can also use it as a sauce in a sandwich or wrap. The options are endless and you can get creative with it.
The base of this easy caesar salad dressing without anchovies is Greek yogurt making it healthier and high in protein too. The little tip however to get that tangy caesar taste without the anchovy paste is actually to add capers. They are little pops bursting with flavor and have a salty umami taste which are the perfect substitute.
Meal prep a batch of this healthy caesar dressing and use it for the week for an easy quick lunch!
Table of Contents
Why you'll love this recipe
- Anchovy-Free. Perfect for those who love the caesar flavor without the anchovies... like me 🙂
- Healthier. Typically a caesar salad dressing recipe can be a little heavy with the mayo and raw egg yolks, but this has a healthy caesar dressing using Greek yogurt as the base
- Customizable. Adapt the dressing to your taste or easily make this a vegan caesar salad dressing. Simply just swap the yogurt and parmesan for dairy free, plant based options. It's also low carb and gluten free
- Quick and Easy. Effortless preparation where you just throw the ingredients into a blender or mini food processor and its ready in minutes
Ingredients to make Caesar Salad Dressing without Anchovies
- Greek yogurt is the base rather than mayonnaise or raw eggs. It creates a super creamy texture and a great healthy substitute. If making into a vegan caesar salad dressing, you can easily substitute with a plant based yogurt such as soy yogurt
- Capers are the secret ingredient to making this caesar salad without anchovies. They are tiny, salty and give it that unique umami flavor. Traditionally anchovy paste and or worcestershire sauce are used which are quite salty making capers the perfect substitute
- Dijon mustard adds a zesty kick and emulsifies the dressing for a creamy texture. You can substitute with with yellow mustard if needed but the taste won't be as subtle
- Lemon juice gives a slight citrusy flavor to the dressing. White wine vinegar is a suitable substitute
- Garlic clove adds depth and aroma to the dressing. You can also use garlic powder if preferred
- Parmesan cheese - Parmigiano Reggiano is my favorite part! It's salty adding a savory cheesy umami flavor. Always best to use freshly grated parmesan cheese rather than pre-grated cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil is added to slightly thin the dressing and also to make it extra silky and yummy. Avocado oil can also be used
How to make Caesar Salad Dressing without Anchovies
Make your own healthy caesar salad dressing in minutes with these easy to follow steps.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a blender (Greek yogurt, dijon mustard, garlic clove, capers, parmesan cheese,lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper). Refer to recipe card below for exact measurements
- Taste for seasoning and the dressing is ready. Pour over a healthy caesar salad and enjoy!!!
Tips and Tricks
- I always prefer to buy a block of Parmesan cheese and grate it myself. Trust me, it always tastes better than pre grated cheese and will make this homemade caesar salad dressing way better!
- If you don't have a blender or mini food processor don't stress. Finely chop the capers and finely grate the parmesan then add to a bowl with the remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined
- When making my healthy caesar salad, I always like to add half of the dressing to the salad and toss to combine. Then top with the croutons and tofu and pour over the rest of the dressing
- If your homemade caesar dressing is too thick, add a teaspoon of water or oil to thin it out
What to serve Healthy Caesar Dressing with
The most obvious of course is to serve on a classic caesar salad right! This is my healthier recipe which includes crisp romaine lettuce, parmesan cheese, boiled eggs and more options below:
- Crispy breaded tofu
- Air fryer croutons
- Pasta salad
- Grilled chicken breast
- Sandwiches or Wraps
- Use as a dip for veggie sticks
Storage and Leftovers
- Store leftovers of the caesar dressing in an airtight container or sealed mason jar in the fridge for up to 4-5 days (note this is if you have opened a new container of Greek yogurt. Always check the expiry of the yogurt)
- Shake the bottle or mason jar before use. If the consistency has become too thick, add a teaspoon of cold water or oil to help thin the dressing
- I don't recommend freezing the dressing
In this recipe, I have used capers! They are tiny and salty and give it that unique umami flavor!
Yes indeed! I’ve used greek yogurt as the base of my dressing which gives it a lusciously creamy texture and no need for mayonnaise or raw eggs
No it's not. Whilst its a key component in traditional caesar dressing recipes, you can make it just as delicious without it by using worcestershire sauce or capers like I have
This recipe lasts for 4 days when kept in an air tight container or mason jar in the fridge. Shake it well before use
More Easy Sauces
- Miso Dressing
- Vegan Gravy
- Peanut Sauce
- Gyoza Dipping Sauce
- Italian Tomato Sauce (Sugo)
- Vegan Tzatziki
- How to Make Pesto
- Persian Cucumber Yogurt Dip
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so be sure to rate the recipe, comment and share your Caesar Salad Dressing Without Anchovies photo on Instagram so I can share the love!
Caesar Salad Dressing Without Anchovies (Healthy & Vegetarian)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I’ve used non-fat)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1-2 garlic cloves (per preference)
- 2 teaspoons capers, including some of the brine
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (ensure to check the packaging if you're vegetarian)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (approx 1 small lemon)
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a blender or mini food processor with a pinch of salt and black pepper and blend until smooth. I always start with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and alter if needed for the perfect consistency *If not using a blender, see notes below
- Taste for seasoning and your caesar salad dressing without anchovies is ready to serve! Pour over your glorious caesar salad and enjoy!!!
- If you don't have a blender or mini food processor, you can still make this recipe. Finely chop the capers and finely grate the parmesan cheese, then add to a bowl with the remaining ingredients and whisk until all combined