This Burrata Caprese Sandwich uses classic ingredients in tomato, burrata and pesto to make a mouthwatering sandwich!
Take a famous classic up a notch with this Burrata Caprese Sandwich! With only 3 ingredients, it’s super easy and tastes unreal!
The Caprese Salad is such an iconic Italian dish that everyone loves right??? It’s traditionally made with fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and olive oil.It’s then served on a serving platter, sometimes with a dash of balsamic vinegar or sweet balsamic glaze.
Table of Contents
For a little twist on the classic Caprese salad, I’ve made a few changes. I’ve used creamy burrata cheese along with basil pesto instead of basil leaves. You can make your own Homemade Pesto, or even use store bought too.
Assemble your burrata caprese salad in crunchy bread and you have a heavenly Burrata Caprese Sandwich!
Love burrata? Then you must try my peach Burrata toast! It's made with ripe peaches which are a match made in heaven.
What is Burrata?
Burrata also known as Burratina, is an Italian fresh cheese made from cow's milk. It's a handmade cheese that looks similar to fresh mozzarella cheese as it's in the shape of a round bag with tied closure.
The outer shell casing is a firmer solid cheese made from mozzarella and the inside consists of stracciatella and fresh cream. It’s super creamy, soft, and delicate on the inside with a rich buttery flavor.
Ingredients for Burrata Caprese Sandwich Recipe
- Ciabatta bread roll is what I’ve used here but feel free to use your favourite bread. My roll was quite large so it serves 2 people. Focaccia, sourdough, French baguette or gluten free varieties would also work great
- Heirloom tomatoes not only look amazing but are also so full of flavour. Just make sure to use a ripe tomato. I made this sandwich while in Italy and have used a beef tomato also known as a beefsteak tomato. In Italian, it’s called Cuore di Bue which translates to an Ox’s heart! Cherry tomatoes are sweeter but Roma tomatoes are another option
- Burrata, also known as Burratina, is a fresh Italian cheese that is the star of the dish! Similar to mozzarella, with a super creamy soft texture on the inside. I recommend purchasing from an Italian deli or grocery for the best quality cheese which makes a huge difference. If you can't find Burratina, you can also substitute it with fresh mozzarella cheese
- Pesto acts as the sauce in the dish. You can make your own Homemade Pesto with my recipe or of course use store bought pesto
- Extra virgin olive oil, you can’t have an Italian recipe without extra virgin olive oil right? Adding a drizzle to the tomatoes makes the biggest difference
How to make Burrata Caprese Sandwich
Using the classic Caprese salad ingredients of burrata, tomato and basil, you can make a delicious mouthwatering sandwich.
- Start by slicing a bread roll in half, toast and cut a garlic clove in half and rub on the inside of each piece of bread
- Assemble by first adding sliced tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil then season to taste
- Add the creamy Burrata cheese
- Then top with basil pesto, cut in half, and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to use fresh tomatoes. The more red and ripe tomatoes are the better, as they’ll be packed with more flavour
- Season your tomatoes! Adding a light drizzle of olive oil with a sprinkle of kosher salt and black pepper brings all the yummy flavors out
- Fresh burrata cheese is always kept in water. Make sure to drain the water and pat the burratina dry with a paper towel so your sandwich isn’t watery
- Assemble with the burratina cheese as the middle layer. This way it resembles the Italian flag
It's a traditional caprese salad put into a sandwich, which consists of mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, fresh basil leaves. In this recipe, I’ve used creamy burrata cheese along with basil pesto instead of basil leaves.
It's best served at room temperature and pairs well with so many ingredients as the flavour is mild with a creamy texture
Add burrata to a sandwich, pasta, pizza, salad, the list goes on and on.
More Burrata Recipes
More Sandwich Recipes
- Grinder Salad (Viral Tiktok Recipe)
- Vegan Sandwich
- Chickpea Tuna Salad (Tunacado)
- Greek Wrap
- Healthy Tuna Salad
- Homemade Crunchwrap
Burrata Caprese Sandwich
- 1 ciabatta bread roll
- 3 large tomato slices (I've used a beefsteak tomato or heirloom tomato)
- 120 g burrata cheese
- 2 tablespoon pesto
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and black pepper
- Slice the bread in half and toast in either a toaster, oven broil or grill pan with a dash of olive oil
- Cut a garlic clove in half and rub on the inside of the slices of bread to give it garlic flavor
- Add the layer of sliced tomatoes, season with salt and pepper with a drizzle of olive oil
- Add the creamy Burrata cheese and top with the pesto
- Slice in half and enjoy your Burrata Caprese Sandwich!