If you love the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme, you’re going to love my Homemade Crunchwrap! In this recipe, I've made a vegan crunchwrap however you can also make it a classic version with some substitutions I have noted in this post.
It's jam-packed with filling, tastes even better plus it’s also much healthier than the fast food version.
When you take your first bite, the first word you will say is WOW! Well, that's what I said 🙂
With each bite, you'll be wanting more!
This Homemade Crunchwrap supreme is so easy and fun to make, kids will love to help make them too!
Ingredients to make Homemade Crunchwrap
- Large Flour Tortillas for the base. You can use a corn tortilla, just make sure it's a large size.
- Black Beans are the "vegan taco meat " I have used as I have made this a vegan crunchwrap. They’re full of protein and a great meat replacement. You can also make a classic version by using ground beef mince instead.
- Small street taco tortillas is the lid to seal the crunchwrap and all the filling inside. I've used a corn tortilla over flour
- Taco seasoning, I like to use a healthier organic brand that has fewer preservatives. You can also make your own homemade taco seasoning. you can also add chili powder to make it spicier
- Chipotle mayonnaise brings a creamy sauce element. I've used a vegan brand as this version is a vegan crunchwrap. Typically sour cream is used and can be used if preferred
- Pickled jalapeños are added for a little spice and kick. Fresh jalapeños can also be used
- Cheese, I have used shredded vegan cheese. You can also use shredded Mexican cheese or traditionally even nacho cheese sauce
- Corn tortilla chips are what I have used for the signature crunch in the center. You can also use a tostada shell too
- Avocado, coriander (cilantro) and lime to make the guacamole
- Tomatoes and iceberg lettuce for freshness
How to make Homemade Crunchwrap
Time needed: 20 minutes.
- Cook protein
Saute beans (or meat) in olive oil with onions and taco seasoning
- Prepare the crunchwrap
Heat a large tortilla and in even layers, add in the centre some chipotle sauce, a layer of the bean mixture, cheese, corn chips, guacamole, diced tomatoes, jalapeños and shredded lettuce
Place a small street taco on top and gently press down to flatten the layers beneath.
Tightly fold the edges up of the large tortilla over to the center, holding each fold whilst working all the way around the tortilla.
Place large pan or skillet over medium heat with a spray of olive oil spray. Place the Crunchwrap so that the folded sides are face down. Toast until the bottom is golden brown, flip, and repeat for the other side.
Tips to make Vegan Crunchwrap
- Make sure to heat the tortillas in the oven before making the Crunchwrap. This is to soften the tortillas so they don’t rip when putting it together
- I found heating in the oven works better than in the microwave. I tried heating in the microwave and they ended up ripping
- Try and layer all the ingredients evenly and level. This will make it easier to fold over the sides and seal
- Adding some oil spray to your pan will help the torilla get golden brown on the outside
Tightly fold the edges up of the large tortilla over to the center, holding each fold whilst working all the way around the tortilla. The filling should be covered and you will have 6 to 7 folds.
Use black beans as a substitute for the classic meat version along with vegan chipotle sauce and vegan cheese to put it together
More Healthy Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion
- 1 can black beans
- 2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 large flour tortillas, or corn tortillas
- 2 small street taco flour tortillas or corn tortillas
- 2 handfuls corn tortilla chips (apprximately 14 chips)
- 2 tablespoon vegan chipotle mayonnaise
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoon pickled jalapeños
- Shredded vegan cheese or preferred cheese
- 1 ripe avocado
- Handful chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- ¼ lime
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper
- Add avocado, coriander and lime juice in a bowl and mash together to make the guacamole. Season with salt and pepper and set aside
- Dice onion into cubes and sauté in olive oil. Once translucent, drain the black beans and add to the pan along with the taco seasoning.Sauté for a few minutes until beans are nicely coated in the seasoning and have been heated.
- Heat the 4 tortillas in the oven on a low heat to soften them.
- Place a large tortilla on a chopping board and add some chipotle sauce to the centre. The sauce should cover a similar size to the small street taco tortilla shape.
- Add a layer of beans to the sauce and then a sprinkle of cheese on top. Lay corn chips on top to cover the cheese, then a good amount of guacamole.Add a layer of diced tomatoes, jalapeños, and some shredded lettuce.
- Place the small street taco on top and gently press down to flatten the layers beneath.
- Tightly fold the edges up of the large tortilla over to the center, holding each fold whilst working all the way around the tortilla. The filling should be covered and you will have 6 to 7 folds.
- Place large pan or skillet over medium heat with a spray of olive oil spray. Place the crunchwrap so that the folded sides are face down.
- Press down with your hand or a spatula to seal the sides of the crunchwrap
- After a few minutes once the bottom is golden brown, flip the crunch wrap to toast the bottom also for a couple of minutes
- Remove from the pan, cut in half and dig in!