This Vegetarian Quesadillas recipe is a family favourite, using vegetables and beans to create a quick and healthy meal in under 20 minutes.
Quesadillas are a family favourite in anyone's household I'm sure! I mean who doesn't love a cheesy pocket of joy you can hold and eat with your hands 🙂 . There are so many things you can put in a Quesadilla, providing a great way to include vegetables and beans for extra protein to create a wholesome meal.
Even though the traditional classic is only filled with cheese, Quesadillas can also be healthy with the right fillings. Incorporate vegetables, use whole grain or corn tortillas as well as using yoghurt for the base of my chipotle sauce. They can easily be made into a vegan version also by using vegan cheese and yoghurt.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Quesadillas
- Tortillas, you can use flour, wholegrain and also corn to be gluten free
- Corn kernels, can be canned/fresh or frozen and thawed
- Tomato to provide some freshness and pop of colour
- Red onion for its sweetness although white onion or leek will also work
- Black beans, I like to use organic canned beans
- Cheddar or vegan cheese a key component in making quesadillas
- Coriander, to introduce a herb element
How to Make Vegetarian Quesadillas
- Char corn on a pan then place in a bowl
- Sauté onion then add to the same bowl
- Add beans, tomato, and coriander to the bowl and mix to combine
- Mix chipotle sauce ingredients in a small bowl
- In the same pan, add a tortilla and add some sauce to half of the tortilla
- Spoon some of the mixture evenly on top of the sauce, then top with cheese.
- Fold the empty side of the quesadilla over and press down with a spatula
- After a minute, flip over. Once golden, remove and cook remaining tortillas.
- Ensure to press down the tortilla once you fold it in half so that the cheese melts and stick to the tortilla.
- Don't overfill the quesadillas with the mixture otherwise they can spill out when flipping
- Chipotle in adobo sauce is quite spicy. To make it less spicy, you can use just the sauce and not include the actual chipotle peppers
I love making Quesadillas quite regularly and have a lot of fun making them. They are always a great option when you need a quick and healthy meal in less than 20 minutes.
More Vegetarian Recipes
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so make sure to tag me and send me a photo on Instagram so I can also share the love.
- 6 flour or corn tortillas
- 1 cup corn kernels, can be canned/fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 large tomato diced into cubes
- 1 red onion diced into cubes
- 1 can black beans drained (420g)
- 120 g cheddar or vegan cheese grated
- Handful of fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon Greek yoghurt or mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon chipotle in adobo sauce
- Lime or lemon (optional)
- Dry fry corn on a pan on a medium heat without any oil to get them nice and charred. Once charred, remove corn to a bowl
- Sauté onion in olive oil on a medium heat, once cooked, add to the same bowl.
- Add beans, tomato, and coriander to the bowl, season with salt and pepper, mix to combine all ingredients
- Mix chipotle sauce ingredients in a small bowl, you can adjust either adding more or less chipotle depending on how spicy you like it
- In the same pan, add a tortilla (there’s no need to add any oil). Add some sauce to half of the tortilla
- Spoon some of the mixture evenly on top of the sauce, still keeping on half of the tortilla. Then top with cheese.
- Using a spatula, fold the empty side of the quesadilla over and press down so that the cheese becomes like a glue to stick the tortilla together.
- After a minute, flip the tortilla over so the second side gets a nice golden colour. Once golden remove off the pan and continue with the remaining tortillas.
- Slice quesadillas in half, squeeze some lemon or lime (optional) and dig in!