Cowboy Caviar is a fresh vegetable dip made with beans, peppers, corn, tomatoes and jalapeños. It's a great way to sneak in veggies!
Cowboy Caviar is a colourful vibrant dish that will be a new favourite!
Think of a mix between a fresh dip, chunky salsa and bean salad together which is also vegan and is so good for meal prep.
It’s made with a range of vegetables including peppers, corn, tomatoes and jalapeños along with beans and a lime dressing bringing the flavors all together! A great way to sneak in veggies for picky eaters too.
A popular dip for sharing is my twist on the viral butter board using a whipped feta dip. You must try it, so addictive!
This recipe is also known as Texas Caviar and it can be eaten in so many ways. You can use it as a dip with corn chips, add to tacos and burritos or even with a spoon as a salad. Perfect to serve as an appetizer or side dish at a picnic or barbecue too!
Cowboy Caviar has been around for decades and it's now becoming a popular Tiktok trend! One of my favourite Tiktok creators Bria has been sharing her version which has gone viral and I can totally see why!
You can basically experiment with the recipe to make it the way you like with your favourite ingredients.
Table of Contents
Why do they call it Cowboy Caviar?
Cowboy Caviar originated in Texas back in the 1940's and was given it's name as a less expensive spin-off of actual caviar (which is salted cured-roe).
Some other popular names for Cowboy Caviar dip are Texas Caviar, Cowboy dip, Cowboy salsa.
The recipe is popularly made for parties as a dip or potluck dish.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Beans, use a range of your favourite beans. I’ve used a mix of red kidney beans and borlotti beans. Black beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans, or even black eyed peas would also work great
- Corn kernels bring a nice sweetness. You can use fresh corn cobs, canned corn or even frozen corn too
- Bell peppers / Capsicum are nice and crunchy and are usually used in cowboy caviar. I’ve used a mix of yellow and red peppers for a pop of colour and flavour
- Tomatoes are also a common vegetable to use. I find Roma tomatoes have a more rich flavour
- Cucumber isn't a very common vegetable to add in cowboy caviar, but I love cucumbers so I've decided to add one
- Red onion is my preferred type of onion and it's sweeter and not as harsh. Green onions can also work
- Avocado makes the dip nice and creamy
- Mango makes the dip so fresh and adds sweetness. Pineapple would make it so yummy too. If not in season, frozen will work great too. If you're wishing to leave the fruit out, add a dash of honey or sugar
- Jalapeños are added for spice. I personally prefer adding pickled jalapeños as they're milder and I also love their flavour. Feel free to add fresh jalapeño, chilli or chili powder if you like
- Limes are the main ingredient in the dressing giving a nice acidity. Fresh limes are always best but if you cant get your hands on some, lime juice will also work
- Olive oil is the base of the dressing. Extra virgin olive oil is my preferred type however avocado oil or other oils will also work
- Pickled jalapeno juice is my favourite ingredient to add to the vinaigrette. It gives extra spice with also a tangy acidity. You can substitute with red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar or even apple cider vinegar
- Garlic powder is my preference rather than using fresh garlic as it's not as harsh. Other spices such as cumin, cilantro and paprika can also work
How to make Cowboy Caviar
Time needed: 15 minutes
- Chop ingredients
Chop the peppers, cucumber, onion, avocado and mango into similar sized cubes and add to a large bowl
* Optional, I like to soak my onion in water for 10 minutes to remove the harsh onion flavour
- Add remaining ingredients
Drain the beans, rinse under water add to the other vegetables along with the corn. If using jalapeños, dice into cubes and add to the bowl
- Make the dressing
In a glass or small bowl add the lime juice, olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. If using the jalapeños juice add this too or vinegar. Whisk together to make the dressing
- Mix and serve
Pour the dressing over the bowl and gently mix together until well combined. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy your Cowboy Caviar!
Tips to make Cowboy Caviar Recipe
- Dice all the vegetables approximately the same size. This is so with every dip or spoonful, you get a mix of all the ingredients and different tastes
- Soak the red onion in water once diced for 10 minutes. This helps in removing the harsh onion flavour (which I'm not a big fan of)
- Use a variety of different coloured vegetables and different types of beans. This gives the cowboy caviar the pretty colour and pop of flavour in every bite
- If adding avocado or fruit, make sure they are on the firmer side and not too ripe. If too soft, it will become mushy when being mixed through
It's made with a range of different vegetables such as peppers, tomatoes, corn, beans, onions and jalapeños with a tangy lime dressing
You can keep it for up to 3-4 days in the fridge. If making a batch for meal prep, you can add the dressing on the day you're eating it so it's more crunchy and not too soggy
Yes, you can. I would suggest adding the dressing 10 minutes before serving. The avocado is also best to add once being served so it doesn't discolour
More Chopped Salads
More Dip Recipes
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can borlotti beans
- 1 can corn kernels (fresh or frozen corn can also be used)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 1 small red onion
- 1 mango
- 1 avocado
- 2-3 tablespoon pickled jalapeños
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon pickled jalapeño juice (or vinegar)
- Chop the peppers, cucumber, onion, avocado and mango into similar sized cubes and add to a large bowl*Optional, I like to soak my onion in water for 10 minutes to remove the harsh onion flavour
- Drain the beans, rinse under water and add to the other vegetables along with the corn. If using jalapeños, dice into cubes and add to the bowl
- In a glass or small bowl add the lime juice, olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. If using the jalapeños juice add this too or vinegar. Whisk together to make the dressing
- Pour the dressing over the bowl and gently mix together until well combined. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy your Cowboy Caviar!