Sometimes you need a simple classic salad with only a handful of ingredients that pairs perfectly with any dish right? Well, search no further as I have it! My Rocket Pear and Parmesan Salad is the winner!
It’s light, fresh and the best part only requires 4 ingredients and takes 5 minutes to make.
I love the saying “less is more”, and this is the perfect dish that really does show that even though it may seem like an easy simple salad, all the ingredients are a match made in heaven when paired together.
Serve this salad alongside pasta, a roast, or at a barbecue as it pairs well, providing an escape of freshness. I recommend trying this with my Penne Alla Vodka or Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca in also keeping an Italian theme.
Ingredients to make rocket pear and walnut salad
- Rocket leaves or otherwise known as Arugula is the base of the salad and has a nice zesty peppery flavour.
- Pear is the sweet component of this salad. I like to slice mine into thin slices as it gives the salad a light crisp sweetness.
- Parmesan cheese adds saltiness which perfectly offsets the sweetness of the pear and the peppery flavours in the rocket. I always use Parmigiano Reggiano but you can also use Pecorino Romano. To make this salad a vegan option, either you can substitute it with vegan cheese or simply leave it out.
- Walnuts bring a much-needed crunch and are highly nutritious but pumpkin seeds or almonds will also work. I prefer using walnuts as you can easily crush them with your fingers and sprinkle them over in seconds
- Balsamic Vinegar gives this salad a lift by bringing a balance of sweet and sour but also has a sharp flavour so you don't need a lot to really taste the impact
- Olive Oil, I use extra virgin olive oil as my preferred and only oil for salads, as I like the richness it brings.
Substitutions for this salad recipe
Here are some of my favourite substitutions
- Pine nuts, once they are toasted is a good alternative instead of using walnuts
- Goats cheese or Blue cheese bring their own unique flavour and are less salty than Parmesan
- Avocado oil, you can always substitute as you prefer
How to make rocket pear and parmesan salad
Time needed: 5 minutes.
- Prepare ingredients
First step is to slice pears nice and thin into even slices. Then with a hand peeler, shave a block of your favourite Parmigiano Reggiano cheese into thin strips
- Make the salad
Add the Rocket to a bowl and dress with some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and sea salt. Give it a nice mix.
To serve, add your thin slices of pear, shaved parmesan, and sprinkle over some walnuts right at the end.
- It's always best to dress and serve this salad immediately. If the rocket is dressed too early, the salad will collapse as the rocket leaves are quite light.
- When slicing the pear, it's best to slice close to when the salad is served. This is because the pear can start browning once it's sliced too far in advance. Serving it within the hour works best, otherwise, a squeeze of some lemon juice can help preserve the nice white colour.
- If you prefer more of a bite to the pear and like it juicy, slice in thicker pieces. I love a thinly sliced pear as it stays fresh and crisp.
This salad is fresh, sweet, salty and perfect for a spring or summers day.
More Salad Recipes
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Shirazi Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Strawberry Spring Salad
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so make sure to tag me and send me a photo on Instagram so I can also share the love.
Rocket Pear and Parmesan Salad
- 100 g rocket leaves (also known as arugula)
- 50 g parmigiano reggiano
- 1 medium green pear
- Handful of walnuts
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Slice the pear into thin slices
- Using a peeler, shave your parmigiano reggiano cheese into thin strips
- Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt in a small bowl and mix together
- Add rocket to a salad bowl and pour over the dressing, give it a quick toss together to coat all of the rocket leaves
- Add pear and parmesan to the salad and mix together
- With your fingers, crumble over the walnuts and serve
- It's best to make this salad right before its served. See important tips above