This is my Easy Homemade Bagels recipe which only uses 3 ingredients, yep you read right 3!
When I think of Bagels, it always reminds me of New York and my last trip there which was many years ago, where bagels are literally on every corner!
Recently I had a craving and wanted to make a batch, then realised how easy they are to make with minimal ingredients.
It’s a healthier version using yogurt as the binding ingredient, also the dough doesn’t need to be left to rest so the total prep and cooking time is 40mins!
Perfect to have for breakfast, lunch or even as a snack.
Ingredients to Make Easy Homemade Bagels
- Flour, the base of the recipe is self-raising flour which assists the dough to rise. You can also use plan flour, however if doing so, you will need to also add baking powder to your recipe. Whole-grain or spelt self-raising flour are also great healthy options.
- Yoghurt, Greek yoghurt is the second main component which makes this recipe super healthy as Greek yoghurt is high in protein and other nutrients. To make this recipe vegan, you can use a dairy free plant based yoghurt such as coconut yoghurt.
- Salt, whilst its technically not an ingredient, salt is needed to give a little flavour to your bagels. I use a good pinch of himalayan sea salt
How to Make Easy Homemade Bagels
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until you form a big dough ball
- Knead dough for about 5 minutes
- Roll into a ball and cut into 4 even pieces
- Roll each piece into a thick rope shape and join ends together
- Place bagels onto a baking tray and brush tops with an egg wash
- Sprinkle bagels with everything bagel seasoning and bake for 25 minutes
- Rest for 10-15 minutes and enjoy
Everything Bagel Seasoning
The everything bagel seasoning is the perfect combination of toasted seeds, onion flakes, pops of garlic granules, and flakey sea salt which tastes amazing on a bagel and is one of the most popular toppings to add!
As we can't get access to purchasing this seasoning easily in Australia, I also created my own homemade version which is super easy to make in less than 10 minutes! You can also use the seasoning on so many other dishes such as adding it to roasted veggies, hummus, avocado and the popular cream cheese.
Give it a try!
- If you don’t have everything bagel seasoning and don’t have the ingredients to make my homemade version, you can also sprinkle the tops with sesame or poppy seeds.
- To make an egg-less version, you can use a light brush of water instead of the egg wash to help your toppings stick to the bagel.
- Try and have each of them the same size and even level so they rise evenly. Also leave enough space in-between each of them so they don’t touch eachother once cooked
Once they are baked, slice in half , toast if preferred, and add your toppings. The all time classic is of course to add cream cheese. My personal favourite is simply spreading some smashed avocado, or beautiful danish feta as featured in the picture above.
Some other popular fillings are:
- Peanut butter
- Peanut butter & jam/jelly
- Egg; poached, fried or scrambled
- Nutella and sliced banana
- Avocado, tomato & cheese
The fillings are endless so take your pic and get creative to what tickles your fancy 🙂
More Breakfast Recipes
- Zucchini Corn Fritters
- Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
- Bangin Breakfast Burger
- Persian Shakshuka
- Healthy Banana Bread
I love seeing your creations and remakes, so make sure to tag me and send me a photo on Instagram so I can also share the love.
Easy Homemade Bagels
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 egg
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a spoon until it forms a big ball
- Transfer dough to a table or kitchen bench top with a dusting of flour underneath, and knead for about 5 minutes until a smooth consistency is achieved. If its too wet, sprinkle with a little more flour.
- Roll dough into a ball and cut into 4 even pieces
- Dust your table with more flour and with your hands, roll each dough ball into a thick rope shape. Join each end together and press together, it will look a little like a doughnut with a big hole in the centre.
- Place bagels onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Try and have each of them the same size and even level so they rise evenly. Also leave enough space in-between each of them so they don’t touch each other once cooked
- Whisk egg in a bowl to create an egg wash and brush the tops of each bagel with the egg wash
- Sprinkle each bagel with Everything Bagel Seasoning and place tray in the oven to bake for 25 minutes
- Let bagels cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing in half. Toast if preferred and add your favourite toppings!